Canon Community Canon Community

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SD card won't format - Cannot format Change card

vishadow wrote:

I found that using a low-end adapter was causing the problem. I purchased a new 128GB microSD card with adapter and popped in the cheaper 2GB microSD card to format and it worked like a charm. Copied the "FIR" file and updated the firmware.

The micro-SD cards with adapters are nor recommended for use in Canon DLRSs.  If you check the instruction manuals, nearly all of them state that you can use SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards.  They make no mention of using micro-SD cards.  

MicroSD card adapters are notoriously unreliable.  The micro-SD cards should only be used in devices that use them directly, without an adapter.  You should only use the regular, full-size SD cards in your Canon DSLR.  Furthermore, you should always use the camera to perform a "low level format" on any new memory card before first use. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor

Format the card on your computer wth FAT32.

Load into camera and format again.

Paul

Esteemed Contributor

PaulSoebekti wrote:

Format the card on your computer wth FAT32.

Load into camera and format again.

Paul

Did you know that you cannot format a 128GB card as FAT32?  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
New Contributor

How Do I Format the Card

http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/8200748800.html

When the card is formatted or data is erased, only the file management information is changed. The actual data is not completely erased. Be aware of this when selling or discarding the Usb card. When discarding the card, execute low-level formatting or destroy the card physically to prevent the data from being leaked.

New Contributor

How Do I Format the Card

When the card is formatted or data is erased, only the file management information is changed. The actual data is not completely erased. Be aware of this when selling or discarding the Usb card. When discarding the card, execute low-level formatting or destroy the card physically to prevent the data from being leaked.

New Contributor

Card may not be compatible with the camera for some reason, maybe it's over the max size the camera can read properly. I don't see a max card size in the documentation for the camera though, maybe try a 2gb card http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/8200748800.html
or try the below article to see if there is any problem with your device or ports