cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD card won't format - Cannot format Change card

NIc
Contributor

I purchased a new 64GB ADATA sd card and adapter for my EOS60D but it won't format in my camera.  It keeps saying "Cannot format. Change card".  Do I need a "particular" SD card or am I doing something wrong?  No, it's not on lock. (I have a SanDisk 32GB and it's happy to format that one).  Thanks

21 REPLIES 21

@Microweb4 wrote:

I'm not sure why people are saying not to use micro SD cards just because Canon doesn't specifically mention them in their manual.  They work great and I've been using one in my 60D for the last couple years without any issues.

Good point about the adaptor being a fail point.  Replacing the adaptor solved my problem.  Luckily the adaptors are only around one dollar, so I'll keep a couple extra handy in case I run into that issue again.

My adaptor failed after using it heavily for two years.  I've had SD cards last shorter times than that.  Easy and cheap fix.  All of my images were still on the micro SD card and it works fine.  Hope that is helpful for others who are having this issue.

Regardless of what others are saying re micro-SD. They are perfectly compatible with any function that requires an SD card. AS for corruption being a problem, a micro SD is no more prone to failure than a standard size SD.  

The main cause of failure in SD cards is in handling them. Removing and putting them into something to be read and then returning them to the camera causes wear on the contacts, whether it is an SD card or a micro-adapter with a micro card in it. Leave the card in the camera unless it is necessary to remove it. Use the USB cable to download tour pictures. 

All SD cards have a very thin gold plate on their contacts. (measured in um) That gold makes for better connectivity and retards corrosion. It wears off quickly with any friction. Any electronic device that has gold plated contacts is not designed to be removed and reinserted repeatedly. Those contacts are extremely thin metal, usually a copper-nickel alloy. They too can wear and lose their adhesion. (https://www.pcmech.com/article/signs-sd-card-failure/)

Any card (or adapter) that has a worn contact is almost guaranteed to have been removed and replaced repeatedly. Replacing any card that has failed with another card will fix the problem, REGARDLESS OF WHY THE ORIGINAL CARD FAILED. That is not an indication that the physical size of the card was the problem.

The reason that Canon makes no reference to either Standard SD or Micro SD is because there is no difference other than the physical size. There are differences in how the cards write (or store) their data. That is seen in their speed rating and class labels. Then there are the high capacity, SDHC, extended capacity cards, SDXC and ultra high speed write UHS. (And video VHS) But none of those are a problem for Canon cameras and the manuals reflect that. Any SDHC (32 GB or less) or SDXC card (64 GB +) card is acceptable. (NOTE: as regular SD is 2 GB or less, they fill up quick so I personally do not recommend them but they will work very well)

NOW, having written all that, the caveat. Any manufacturer belonging to the SD Association must adhere to their standards. But there are a lot of counterfeit cards out there. While a card built to Association Standards has Read / Write of a million times, counterfeit card don't. If your new card is corrupted, start thinking you were burned with a counterfeit. Buying from eBay or the gray market hucksters and the chances are much greater you will get garbage. Buying a card from the big internet camera stores (B&H, KEH, Henry's, etc), or Walmart, Best Buy, and even your local camera store are much safer. 

Actually, one of the main causes of adapter failure with micro-SD cards is heat.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements