cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD card won't format - Cannot format Change card

NIc
Contributor

I purchased a new 64GB ADATA sd card and adapter for my EOS60D but it won't format in my camera.  It keeps saying "Cannot format. Change card".  Do I need a "particular" SD card or am I doing something wrong?  No, it's not on lock. (I have a SanDisk 32GB and it's happy to format that one).  Thanks

21 REPLIES 21

Bob, I'm having the same issue, using a new 64GB Sandisk Extreme PRO SD card (not a micro/adapter combo). I got the card brand new with a new 70D, and it's worked just fine together up until today. This morning it happened twice at the end of two shoots. And now, it won't even let me shoot at all. Any ideas?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@NIc wrote:

I purchased a new 64GB ADATA sd card and adapter for my EOS60D but it won't format in my camera.  It keeps saying "Cannot format. Change card".  Do I need a "particular" SD card or am I doing something wrong?  No, it's not on lock. (I have a SanDisk 32GB and it's happy to format that one).  Thanks

It's the adapter.  The adapter is the problem.  Stick to regular size SD cards, no mini-cards w/adapters.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

PaulSoebekti
Enthusiast

Format the card on your computer wth FAT32.

Load into camera and format again.

Paul

@PaulSoebekti wrote:

Format the card on your computer wth FAT32.

Load into camera and format again.

Paul

Did you know that you cannot format a 128GB card as FAT32?  

parjas
Apprentice

How Do I Format the Card

http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/8200748800.html

When the card is formatted or data is erased, only the file management information is changed. The actual data is not completely erased. Be aware of this when selling or discarding the Usb card. When discarding the card, execute low-level formatting or destroy the card physically to prevent the data from being leaked.

parjas
Apprentice

How Do I Format the Card

When the card is formatted or data is erased, only the file management information is changed. The actual data is not completely erased. Be aware of this when selling or discarding the Usb card. When discarding the card, execute low-level formatting or destroy the card physically to prevent the data from being leaked.

parjas
Apprentice

Card may not be compatible with the camera for some reason, maybe it's over the max size the camera can read properly. I don't see a max card size in the documentation for the camera though, maybe try a 2gb card http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/8200748800.html
or try the below article to see if there is any problem with your device or ports 

Microweb4
Apprentice

I'm not sure why people are saying not to use micro SD cards just because Canon doesn't specifically mention them in their manual.  They work great and I've been using one in my 60D for the last couple years without any issues.

Good point about the adaptor being a fail point.  Replacing the adaptor solved my problem.  Luckily the adaptors are only around one dollar, so I'll keep a couple extra handy in case I run into that issue again.

My adaptor failed after using it heavily for two years.  I've had SD cards last shorter times than that.  Easy and cheap fix.  All of my images were still on the micro SD card and it works fine.  Hope that is helpful for others who are having this issue.

@Microweb4 wrote:

I'm not sure why people are saying not to use micro SD cards just because Canon doesn't specifically mention them in their manual.  They work great and I've been using one in my 60D for the last couple years without any issues.

Good point about the adaptor being a fail point.  Replacing the adaptor solved my problem.  Luckily the adaptors are only around one dollar, so I'll keep a couple extra handy in case I run into that issue again.

My adaptor failed after using it heavily for two years.  I've had SD cards last shorter times than that.  Easy and cheap fix.  All of my images were still on the micro SD card and it works fine.  Hope that is helpful for others who are having this issue.

It's a matter of risk reduction. If you're in a photo shoot that really matters, it makes sense to take as little risk as possible. A card failure is not as likely to be obvious at the time as, say, a flash failure. I wouldn't risk a shoot on the performance of a $1 part, and I suspect that most people in this forum feel the same way. If you don't, that's obviously a decision you're free to make.

To your first point: The reason we advise people not to use micro SD cards is that we've received more questions and complaints about micro cards not working well than one would expect if they were as good as full-size cards. And if they're not as good as full-size cards, why use them?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@Microweb4 wrote:

I don't understand why people want to use them when Canon does not specifically recommend them in their manual.

Announcements