cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD card won't format - Cannot format Change card

NIc
Contributor

I purchased a new 64GB ADATA sd card and adapter for my EOS60D but it won't format in my camera.  It keeps saying "Cannot format. Change card".  Do I need a "particular" SD card or am I doing something wrong?  No, it's not on lock. (I have a SanDisk 32GB and it's happy to format that one).  Thanks

21 REPLIES 21

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What does the manual say? Is the new card XD? will the 60D work with those?

Don't have the manual.  The card appears to be the same & have the same markings as the SanDisk Ultra (except the name) so not sure why it's not happy.  Maybe I should just go and get another 64gb Sandisk, at least I know that one works. Guess I will have to keep googling to work it out. 

I thought you said that you had a 32GB Sandisk that works?

I looked in the manual, and the 60D and handle SD, SDHC and XD, so that is not the problem.

NIc
Contributor

OK, I think I am better off going with the Sandisk Extreme or Lexar Professional for this camera. Thanks for your help. 🙂 

NIc
Contributor

It may well be the adaptor, but it's strange that they are both micro cards and the Sandisk 23GB works fine in it (even though it's a ADATA adaptor), but the ADATA 64GB micro won't and it's new.  It may just be something wrong with the ADATA micro card.  Think I will just get a Sandisk Extreme 32GB or Lexar Professonal 32GB, yes regular size, not mini.  Thanks

@NIc wrote:

It may well be the adaptor, but it's strange that they are both micro cards and the Sandisk 23GB works fine in it (even though it's a ADATA adaptor), but the ADATA 64GB micro won't and it's new.  It may just be something wrong with the ADATA micro card.  Think I will just get a Sandisk Extreme 32GB or Lexar Professonal 32GB, yes regular size, not mini.  Thanks

There's nothing strange about it. When you use a micro card and adapter, you have two devices that the camera was not designed to recognize working in tandem to try to fool it. The strange thing is that it ever works.

But why on earth would anyone want to try such a rig? The memory card, together with the circuitry that ties it in, is as mission critical as anything on the camera. If those devices fail to do their job, your photo shoot is kaput. You do see the disconnect, right?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I found that using a low-end adapter was causing the problem. I purchased a new 128GB microSD card with adapter and popped in the cheaper 2GB microSD card to format and it worked like a charm. Copied the "FIR" file and updated the firmware.

@vishadow wrote:

I found that using a low-end adapter was causing the problem. I purchased a new 128GB microSD card with adapter and popped in the cheaper 2GB microSD card to format and it worked like a charm. Copied the "FIR" file and updated the firmware.

The micro-SD cards with adapters are nor recommended for use in Canon DLRSs.  If you check the instruction manuals, nearly all of them state that you can use SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards.  They make no mention of using micro-SD cards.  

MicroSD card adapters are notoriously unreliable.  The micro-SD cards should only be used in devices that use them directly, without an adapter.  You should only use the regular, full-size SD cards in your Canon DSLR.  Furthermore, you should always use the camera to perform a "low level format" on any new memory card before first use. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements