cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing Canon EOS20D and HDR software

motheye
Contributor

My Canon EOS 20D has died and I'm not interested in spending money to fix it.  Any recmmendations on a replacement body?  I'm getting back into photography but am not a professional.  I have interest in taking and editing HDR images.  I also want to still use my lenses from the EOS 20D.  I would prefer to buy a used camera to get more for my money.  If I am able to rekindle my interest, I'll be looking to upgrade all my equipment but for now just want to shoot and edit good pictures.

Also, I need to get imaging software that is Mac compatible.  I am proficient with Pixelmator but I don't think it is very good for editing HDR images.   I am looking at Adobe Photoshop Elements.  Any other ideas?

Thanks for any help!

50 REPLIES 50

@motheye wrote:

OK, thanks all.  I will get the 7D and it sounds like I will be very happy with it.  Can someone confirm that my 20D flash will work with it?  I'm not sure where I would find this information.  Thanks in advance!

What model flash?

Edit: All the EX flashes will work 550EX, 580EX, 430EX, 420EX, etc.  The EZ flashes not so much.   

Ah got me there.  Not sure, as I haven't used it in a while. I recently moved and it is packed away somewhere.  So I will just take my chances I guess!  Thanks.

I hope you did not leave the batteries in it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@motheye wrote:

OK, thanks all.  I will get the 7D and it sounds like I will be very happy with it.  Can someone confirm that my 20D flash will work with it?  I'm not sure where I would find this information.  Thanks in advance!

what is the model of your 20D flash?  Any EX series will work great with the 70D.  All others (such as EZ/E/EG/ML/TL)...you can't use TTL - the flash will fire at full power.  You can still use the flash in Manual mode (to control flash power) or use M or Av to set appropriate settings for full power flash output.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

lly3988
Rising Star

Several members in our community photography club have recently acquired Canon 40D camera bodies. Instructors also recommended EF50 1.8 STM and EFS 24 2.8 STM lenses. They are not beginners but enthusiasts who don't want to pay too much for the modern models.

This camera is more than capable for daily shooting. Go to flickr etc and you will find tens of thousands of amazing images created by this awesome body.

It is better than older Rebels in terms of specs and construction. 10.1 mp is sufficient for rather large prints. 6.5 fps isn't slow compare to a lot of higher level cameras nowadays. 9 points AF and liveview featues are not bad at all. Magnesium alloy body is similar to 7D. If your interest is in landscape and HDR, 40D is more than enough. For you need more speed for birds and sport, you may consider 7D.

There are a lot of very nice condition 40D out there for around (CAD) $130 to $150. Depending whether it is boxed with full accessories or just the body with battery and charger only. The members all bought 40D with less than 25K shutter count and in excellent condtion.

If budget is limited, I will consider this camera and the two awesome prime lens. They are light in weight and excellent in performance. You may have some money left for a light tripod or spare batteries etc.

Just my 2 cents.

lly3988 wrote:

Several members in our community photography club have recently acquired Canon 40D camera bodies. Instructors also recommended EF50 1.8 STM and EFS 24 2.8 STM lenses. They are not beginners but enthusiasts who don't want to pay too much for the modern models.

This camera is more than capable for daily shooting. Go to flickr etc and you will find tens of thousands of amazing images created by this awesome body.

It is better than older Rebels in terms of specs and construction. 10.1 mp is sufficient for rather large prints. 6.5 fps isn't slow compare to a lot of higher level cameras nowadays. 9 points AF and liveview featues are not bad at all. Magnesium alloy body is similar to 7D. If your interest is in landscape and HDR, 40D is more than enough. For you need more speed for birds and sport, you may consider 7D.

There are a lot of very nice condition 40D out there for around (CAD) $130 to $150. Depending whether it is boxed with full accessories or just the body with battery and charger only. The members all bought 40D with less than 25K shutter count and in excellent condtion.

If budget is limited, I will consider this camera and the two awesome prime lens. They are light in weight and excellent in performance. You may have some money left for a light tripod or spare batteries etc.

Just my 2 cents.

I can't quarrel with the reasoning, but I think I'd look for a 50D. At 15Mp (instead of 10), it was a significant jump over the 40D. I never owned a 40D, but got a lot of good pictures with my 50D back in the day. My only real beef with it was that it had no IR receiver, which limited its utility for remote shooting.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@lly3988 wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

I can't quarrel with the reasoning, but I think I'd look for a 50D. At 15Mp (instead of 10), it was a significant jump over the 40D. I never owned a 40D, but got a lot of good pictures with my 50D back in the day. My only real beef with it was that it had no IR receiver, which limited its utility for remote shooting.

I cannot quarrel with the reasoning, either.  I'll will just repeat my caution about software support for many older camera bodies is slowly being phased out.  For example, the Canon software released for use with the 40D runs on Windows XP, which isn't a problem if you have an old XP machine to use.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle wrote:

RobertTheFat wrote:

lly3988 wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

I cannot quarrel with the reasoning, either.  I'll will just repeat my caution about software support for many older camera bodies is slowly being phased out.  For example, the Canon software released for use with the 40D runs on Windows XP, which isn't a problem if you have an old XP machine to use.

I have no trouble editing RAW files from my 50D (and from my wife's T2i) with Digital Photo Professional Version 4 on a Windows 10 computer. (With Version 3 I can even edit files from our old XTi's.) I might be more concerned about finding batteries for a 40D than about incompatibility of the software.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@lly3988 wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

I have no trouble editing RAW files from my 50D (and from my wife's T2i) with Digital Photo Professional Version 4 on a Windows 10 computer. (With Version 3 I can even edit files from our old XTi's.) I might be more concerned about finding batteries for a 40D than about incompatibility of the software.

The 40D and 50D use the same batteries. The BP511 battery was used in Canon camcorders as well as their dSLRs. There are dozens of 3rd party sources if Canon ever stopped making them.

Having extensively used the 40D, 50D, classic 7D and 7D Mk II, here's my opinion.

For a couple hundred dollars the 40D is simply an amazing deal. It has aged very well, and still outclasses new entry level Rebels T#.

The biggest advantage of the 50D over 40D isn't really the megapixels, but, ability to micro focus adjust lenses. That is the reason to choose it over the 40D if found at similar pricing.

The classsic 7D is a big step over both of those. Here is a comparison I did between the 50D, classic 7D, and the 7D Mk II.

Frames per second

• 50D - 6.3
  • 7D - 8
  • 7D Mk II - 10

RAW buffer

• 50D - 16
  • 7D - 15 later increased to 22 with firmware.
  • 7D Mk II - 31

Cross-type AF Points

• 50D - 9
  • 7D - 19
  • 7D Mk II - 65

Megapixels

• 50D - 15
  • 7D - 18
  • 7D Mk II - 20

ISO Range

• 50D - ISO 100-3200
  • 7D - ISO 100-6400
  • 7D Mk II - ISO 100-16000

Metering

• 50D - 35 zone
  • 7D - 63 zone IFCL
  • 7D Mk II - 150,000-pixel RGB+IR 252-zone metering system

"I have no trouble editing RAW files from my 50D (and from my wife's T2i) with Digital Photo Professional Version 4 on a Windows 10 computer. (With Version 3 I can even edit files from our old XTi's.) I might be more concerned about finding batteries for a 40D than about incompatibility of the software."

Oh, I am sure that you can no doubt run DPP4 on Windows 10, without significant issues. But, a camera like a 40D doesn't come with DPP4.  It uses EOSU 2.x, and DPP 3.x.  I don't think you can download DPP4, or EOSU3, with a 40D serial number.  The last time I tried that with a serial number from an old body was before Canon redesigned their support web site.  It didn't work back then.

The original packages for the EOS 40D were originally designed to run under Windows XP, which still supported DOS and unmanaged code.  Most software of the day that interacted with hardware used unmanaged DLLs, which XP supported, and most of which cannot directly run under Windows 10. 

Installing the 40D on a fresh Windows 10 machine will require an intial install, plus one or more updates.  Even then Wndows would have to run the packages in a compatibility mode, support for which is not going to last very long.  Because of security issues, the way software interacts with external hardware devices has dramatically changed since Windows XP was first introduced.

[EDIT]  This is what you can download for Windows 10. 

EOS_40D_Windows_10_Software.JPG

Not a good place to start.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements