cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing Canon EOS20D and HDR software

motheye
Contributor

My Canon EOS 20D has died and I'm not interested in spending money to fix it.  Any recmmendations on a replacement body?  I'm getting back into photography but am not a professional.  I have interest in taking and editing HDR images.  I also want to still use my lenses from the EOS 20D.  I would prefer to buy a used camera to get more for my money.  If I am able to rekindle my interest, I'll be looking to upgrade all my equipment but for now just want to shoot and edit good pictures.

Also, I need to get imaging software that is Mac compatible.  I am proficient with Pixelmator but I don't think it is very good for editing HDR images.   I am looking at Adobe Photoshop Elements.  Any other ideas?

Thanks for any help!

50 REPLIES 50

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"My Canon EOS 20D has died and I'm not interested in spending money to fix it.  Any recmmendations on a replacement body?"

What would be your budget for a camera body?  Buying used has the advantage of cost, and risk of reliability.  If you're accustomed to a 20D, then I would not recommend any of the Rebel camera bodies. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Also, I need to get imaging software that is Mac compatible.  I am proficient with Pixelmator but I don't think it is very good for editing HDR images.   I am looking at Adobe Photoshop Elements.  Any other ideas?"

How artistic do you want to get?  I think a really good purchase would be Adobe Lightroom 6, the stand alone version.  It includes HDR tools.  It is similar to Canon's Digital Photo Professional software, except MUCH faster and more powerful.  Adobe PSE would be a good compliment to it.

Be aware that many of the older camera bodies are being phased out of software support by some vendors.  Keep this in mind when you choose a camera body AND a software package.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Budget is less than $400 for used.  Maybe a 60D?   I just can't make much sense of the inconsistent model names over the years.  I will go all out a buy a new package if I get back into this!

Thanks I'll look into Lightroom.  I enjoy working with images on the computer.

@motheye wrote:

Budget is less than $400 for used.  Maybe a 60D?   I just can't make much sense of the inconsistent model names over the years.  I will go all out a buy a new package if I get back into this!

Thanks I'll look into Lightroom.  I enjoy working with images on the computer.

" I would prefer to buy a used camera to get more for my money.  If I am able to rekindle my interest, I'll be looking to upgrade all my equipment but for now just want to shoot and edit good pictures."

For the budget, you're going to be in Rebel territory.  You might find a used 60D for that price, but the condition will be a questionable.  If you buy a better camera than a used Rebel, then I guarantee you that it will rekindle your interest.

You may want to look at a used 7D, because of the body build. I think this might be your best bet in a used camera for your budget, althought it is still an older design.  The condition of older camera bodies will always be questionable. 

I would only recommend buying used gear from KEH or B&H, who at least guarantee their stuff for a brief period of time, though not quite long enough to fully shake down the camera body, especially a new one that you would have to learn..

The 70D is a more current choice, which can be found used or refurbished.  I believe the 60D is the model where they dropped the Auto Focus Micro Adjustment, which allows you to tune the camera body to your lens.  The Canon Refurbished store offeres one year warranties.

@motheye wrote:

My Canon EOS 20D has died and I'm not interested in spending money to fix it.  Any recmmendations on a replacement body?  I'm getting back into photography but am not a professional.  I have interest in taking and editing HDR images.  I also want to still use my lenses from the EOS 20D.  I would prefer to buy a used camera to get more for my money.  If I am able to rekindle my interest, I'll be looking to upgrade all my equipment but for now just want to shoot and edit good pictures.

Also, I need to get imaging software that is Mac compatible.  I am proficient with Pixelmator but I don't think it is very good for editing HDR images.   I am looking at Adobe Photoshop Elements.  Any other ideas?

Thanks for any help!

To replace your 20D, look on the Canon site for a refurbished 7D. The latter was replaced a year or so ago, and it should be available at a decent price. And Canon refurbished cameras are often a best buy.

As for the software, download Canon's freebie (if you have a Canon DSLR), Digital Photo Professional. Try to overlook the fact that it's slow and buggy, because it really does have some nice features. If you use it for a while and are still dissatisfied, look into the Adobe products Lightroom and Photoshop Elements. Once you're familiar with some combination of those, you'll be in a better position to know what, if anything, to try next.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks Robert and Waddizzle,  

I think I'm in that slippery upward slope of paying more and getting a lot more, because the 7D looks good!  But I really just need to get a camera in my hands and take some shots.   I guess I don't know enough to know how the 20D limited me.   So maybe I'll grab a 40D or 50D from KEH (thanks!) just to get going.  I will assume my flash will work with these versions.  

@motheye wrote:

Thanks Robert and Waddizzle,  

I think I'm in that slippery upward slope of paying more and getting a lot more, because the 7D looks good!  But I really just need to get a camera in my hands and take some shots.   I guess I don't know enough to know how the 20D limited me.   So maybe I'll grab a 40D or 50D from KEH (thanks!) just to get going.  I will assume my flash will work with these versions.  

Both the 40D and the 50D are nice upgrades from the 20D.

The classic 7D is an upgrade from both of those. 

"...because the 7D looks good!"

If you go for a 7D, you will not need to upgrade it for a long time.  Consider that when you decide on buying a stop gap model.

That has to be worth something.  Because a used 40D or 50D is just another, I need to upgrade later idea.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...because the 7D looks good!"

If you go for a 7D, you will not need to upgrade it for a long time.  Consider that when you decide on buying a stop gap model.

That has to be worth something.  Because a used 40D or 50D is just another, I need to upgrade later idea.

Exactly.

Let's say you spend $400 on stopgap camera, a 40D or 50D, with the intent of later upgrading.  How much do you plan to spend on that upgrade?  Maybe somewhere in the $600-$800 range, if not even more? 

Let's say you spend $800 for a body upgrade down the road, then that's a total of $1200.  You could spend half that amount today, and get a 7D.  Plus, I am going to offer you my guarantee again.  If you get a 7D, then you will ignite your interest.

OK, thanks all.  I will get the 7D and it sounds like I will be very happy with it.  Can someone confirm that my 20D flash will work with it?  I'm not sure where I would find this information.  Thanks in advance!

Announcements