Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: Refurbished 80d...blurry out of focus photos.. HELP!

Yes wide open. But those photos i posted are with my afma set back to 0. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When you use Live View, does it close the shutter to focus?   <— One Shot, when you half press the shutter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Esteemed Contributor

Waddizzle wrote:

When you use Live View, does it close the shutter to focus?   <— One Shot, when you half press the shutter.

In Live View, doesn't it, almost by definition, use the sensor to focus? IOW, it couldn't be focusing with the shutter closed?

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Honored Contributor

RobertTheFat wrote:

Waddizzle wrote:

In Live View, doesn't it, almost by definition, use the sensor to focus? IOW, it couldn't be focusing with the shutter closed?

Canon DSLRs can do either.  I think turning off ExpSim is what causes it to switch modes, from image sensor focusing to AF sensor focusing.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honored Contributor

RobertTheFat wrote:

Waddizzle wrote:

Okay.  I just tested this on my 6D.  

In the Live View menu screen, one of the last red ones, you can set the “AF Method”.  When it is set to “Quick Mode”, then focusing is achieved by dropping the mirror, and using the AF system, and then raising the mirror once focus is locked on a subject.  It is much faster than image sensor focusing, which I guess explains the name.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

naipes indicates that using single point AF with center FP gives poor results (i.e. agreement between viewfinder and LiveView, but using one FP up gives good results.

Can anyone explain that other that being due to a camera issue?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

jrhoffman75 wrote:

OP indicates that using single point AF with center FP gives poor results (i.e. agreement between viewfinder and LiveView, but using one FP up gives good results.

I cannot.  But, the problem seems to happen with only the 50mm f/1.8 lens.   [???].

I was going to suggest switching focusing modes in Live View, as I describe just above, to “Quick Mode” and comparing results, assuming the camera body has it.

Respected Contributor

jrhoffman75 wrote:

OP indicates that using single point AF with center FP gives poor results (i.e. agreement between viewfinder and LiveView, but using one FP up gives good results.

The OP didn't state that, a second poster stated that. The second poster was using a 2D poster for his comparison shots. Even the slightest error in either the lens or the camera (even within tolerance) will show up on a 2D target. That's why Canon recommends doing AF microadjustment where you have foreground and background so you can see where the camera is focusing.

Also see my post above with the addendum from Roger at Lens Rentals. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good clarification. I meant the OP of this particular problemproblem (Naipes) that is being discussed now.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472
Occasional Contributor

With my 50mm 1.4 lens, ill have the same results when using the viewfinder or in live view. Still out of focus when under f2.8

Thats my only prime lens. So i dont have anything to compare it too. My kit lens only goes to f3.5