cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refurbished 80d...blurry out of focus photos.. HELP!

KevinG1
Enthusiast
Im new to photography, started this year with a rebel t6 that I outgrew fast. I seemed to learn pretty quick and have always shot in manual mode. Quality of my t6 photos are great! Clear, crisp, and so on.

decided to upgrade to a 80d, and picked one up through canon refurbished. Well the majority of my shots come out blurry. For example, i do car photography {stills} and lets say the wheels are out of focus, or the lights... cant seem to get consistent clear crisp photos.

Not sure if its me, or the camera. Seems all of my lenses will do it. Mostly shoot with the canon 50mm 1.4 and nothing comes out clear under f2.8. Best around 4.

Ive tried everything. Tripod, high shutter speed, manual focus.. live view, view finder, tried all different focus point methods. The one wierd thing I noticed is when i used live view today, it showed the image on the screen perfectly in focus and crisp. As soon as the shutter went of it became blurry. That was on a tripod, using 2 sec delay.

Hope someone can help me...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@KevinG1 wrote:
Gotcha. Ill just need to shoot more and see what methods work best for me.

Also i did a micro af adjustment and found my canon 50mm 1.4 was off a bit. Definitely wasn't helping me

I suggest that you reset your AFMA back to zero, until you gain more experience with the camera.  Learn how to half press the shutter when using One Shot mode, so that you can evaluate the AF points.

When you have all AF points active, like [A} mode, you may see multiple AF points light up.  Be aware of the fact that the camera is indicating which AF points are capable of achieving a focus lock, but only one AF point will actually be used to focus the shot.  The automatically selected AF point will typically rest on the closest object under an active AF point.

It is highly recommended that you configure the camera to always use the center AF point, which is the most sensitive and accurate AF point.  And, always use One Shot focusing mode, until you gain more experience using the camera to focus on the subject that you want.    

One final note.  The AF points are actually slightly larger than the red boxes you see in the viewfinder.  Placing an AF point on something may not always focus where you want it to.  The camera will focus on the highest contrast area that it can find within the AF point coverage area.  So aim your camera at vertical and horizontal contrasting lines.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

108 REPLIES 108

Some more samples i just took.  Both done in single point af, pointed at the front door handle, using back button focus and single shot.

blurry one

f1.4

iso 100

shutter 1/1600

clear one 

f5

iso 125

shutter 1/200

took 5 shots, f1.4, 2, 3.2, 4, and 5. F5 was the clearest. All others came out blurry. Progressively got better by closing the aperture.

KevinG1
Enthusiast
With my 50mm 1.4 lens, ill have the same results when using the viewfinder or in live view. Still out of focus when under f2.8

Thats my only prime lens. So i dont have anything to compare it too. My kit lens only goes to f3.5

KevinG1
Enthusiast
Bringing this back up, because im still having issues. Might have to send it in to canon. Used my 70-200 f4 today, and had about 50/50 clear. Feel like all of my lenses are off with this body

First off, my apologies as I have been too busy to read all the enteries on this thread. I did scan them quickly and I didn't see this brought up. If it has, again, I apologise.

A wide open aperture should be avoided when possible. It will seldom / never give optimum results. You can take my word for that or read the physics on light waves and optics.  It does get complicated and uses big words like "diffraction" and "convergence".  Most lenses will give their optimum views (sweet zone) between two and four stops down. So for a lens with an f-1.8 aperture, the best shots will be between 5.6 and 11. Choosing the middle, f-8 or f-9, is almost a fail safe aperture. Most lenses will give their optimum sharpness at that aperture. While that f-5.6 can give you close to the best sharpness, it can also create other issues.

There is that DOF (depth of field) that is all important here. It is a strong influence even when you are in the sweet zone. The closer you are to the object, the shallower the DOF. If you really want to have the entire car in (acceptable) focus, then move back some. That enlarges the amount of the subject in focus. Camera sensors, including the 80D, are big enough to tolerate a lot of cropping. DOF is not a magical number where suddenly an object is in focus and just as suddenly is out of focus. It is still an arbitrary, subjective zone.

Ken Rockwell has a good piece on this. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/focus.htm However, using between f-8  and f-11 for most lenses will give satisfactory results. 

KevinG1
Enthusiast
My canon rebel t6 took better pictures then my 80d. I could shoot with my 50mm 1.8 , at 1.8 and not have any issues.

This camera with my canon 50mm 1.4 i can only get clear shots above f2.8-3

The canon 70-200 has the same problem at f4. Same lens had no issues on my t6

My kit lens does the same. All of mt lenses seem to need a bit or micro focus adjustments. My canon 50mm seems to be best at +10.

I called canon yesterday, and i sent in my 80d withmy 50mm 1.4. Hopefully they find something.

My friend shoots with a 6d and the same 50mm 1.4 , shoots cars at 1.4 and never has any problems

@KevinG1 wrote:
My canon rebel t6 took better pictures then my 80d. I could shoot with my 50mm 1.8 , at 1.8 and not have any issues.

This camera with my canon 50mm 1.4 i can only get clear shots above f2.8-3

The canon 70-200 has the same problem at f4. Same lens had no issues on my t6

My kit lens does the same. All of mt lenses seem to need a bit or micro focus adjustments. My canon 50mm seems to be best at +10.

I called canon yesterday, and i sent in my 80d withmy 50mm 1.4. Hopefully they find something.

My friend shoots with a 6d and the same 50mm 1.4 , shoots cars at 1.4 and never has any problems

This is a textbook example of why you should start your own thread for your own issue, instead of hijacking another user’s thread.  There are too many pages to read through.  No one knows where, one which page, your issue began, and no one is going to trouble themselves to find out.

If I am not mistaken, you were advised to contact Canon, and send the camera back.  If I am wrong, oh well.  I tried.

KevinG1
Enthusiast
This is my thread, and is my same problem. Im the original poster, and this is my original problem. I thought i fixed it, but i did not.

Updating this post, so if people have the same issue, then they can see what fixed my issue.

Why do i need to start a new thread?

@KevinG1 wrote:
This is my thread, and is my same problem. Im the original poster, and this is my original problem. I thought i fixed it, but i did not.

Updating this post, so if people have the same issue, then they can see what fixed my issue.

Why do i need to start a new thread?

My bad.  Someone else started posting with another issue somewhere in the middle of this thread.  Like I said, I am too lazy too read through so many pages, especially when half of them are off topic.

As for issue, what did Canon say about it?  Don’t wait until the last day of your warranty.

KevinG1
Enthusiast
Its only been a month since ive had the camera. Should of been documented after a couple weeks though . Ive contacted them a few times about this. The email support wasn't too helpful, but when I called, he basically told me, that even +10 afma was a lot for that lens. So i mailed it out today. Shipped it with my 50mm 1.4. Hopefully something good comes out of this.

Ill keep this post updated when i find out

got my camera back, and my 50mm 1.4. this is what was done

the adjustment of the AF assembly was incorrect causing focus to operate improperly. on the 80d and on the 50mm 1.4. adjusted and tested

i also picked up a used 6D, and ill be doing some comparissons tomorrow.

Announcements