cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refurbished 80d...blurry out of focus photos.. HELP!

KevinG1
Enthusiast
Im new to photography, started this year with a rebel t6 that I outgrew fast. I seemed to learn pretty quick and have always shot in manual mode. Quality of my t6 photos are great! Clear, crisp, and so on.

decided to upgrade to a 80d, and picked one up through canon refurbished. Well the majority of my shots come out blurry. For example, i do car photography {stills} and lets say the wheels are out of focus, or the lights... cant seem to get consistent clear crisp photos.

Not sure if its me, or the camera. Seems all of my lenses will do it. Mostly shoot with the canon 50mm 1.4 and nothing comes out clear under f2.8. Best around 4.

Ive tried everything. Tripod, high shutter speed, manual focus.. live view, view finder, tried all different focus point methods. The one wierd thing I noticed is when i used live view today, it showed the image on the screen perfectly in focus and crisp. As soon as the shutter went of it became blurry. That was on a tripod, using 2 sec delay.

Hope someone can help me...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@KevinG1 wrote:
Gotcha. Ill just need to shoot more and see what methods work best for me.

Also i did a micro af adjustment and found my canon 50mm 1.4 was off a bit. Definitely wasn't helping me

I suggest that you reset your AFMA back to zero, until you gain more experience with the camera.  Learn how to half press the shutter when using One Shot mode, so that you can evaluate the AF points.

When you have all AF points active, like [A} mode, you may see multiple AF points light up.  Be aware of the fact that the camera is indicating which AF points are capable of achieving a focus lock, but only one AF point will actually be used to focus the shot.  The automatically selected AF point will typically rest on the closest object under an active AF point.

It is highly recommended that you configure the camera to always use the center AF point, which is the most sensitive and accurate AF point.  And, always use One Shot focusing mode, until you gain more experience using the camera to focus on the subject that you want.    

One final note.  The AF points are actually slightly larger than the red boxes you see in the viewfinder.  Placing an AF point on something may not always focus where you want it to.  The camera will focus on the highest contrast area that it can find within the AF point coverage area.  So aim your camera at vertical and horizontal contrasting lines.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

108 REPLIES 108

KevinG1
Enthusiast
I have been. Its been back and forth for a wk, but there just asking basic questions. Ill have to call them tomorrow

@KevinG1 wrote:
I have been. Its been back and forth for a wk, but there just asking basic questions. Ill have to call them tomorrow

I have been trying to ask basic questions, too.  Try to give them concise answers to their exact questions.  Pay closer attention to the questions you are being asked.  Details are crucial.

I have had a hard time trying to understand what steps you are taking to reproduce the problem.  I asked you to try the flash, but it seems that you forgot about it.  I asked about setting the camera to One Shot mode, and leaving it that way.  But, I have no idea if you did.  You post back that you tried everything.

We already know that everything you have tried does not seem to work for you.  Now it is time to try very specific tests, and report the results.  Canon may want you to try do something that is different from what you usually in very subtle ways.  They may want to put the camera into a known state, and eliminate possibilities, so that they can narrow down the problem.

I still cannot tell if the problem is the camera, the lens, or the camera settings and how it is being used.

I havent tried a different body, because its the only one i have.

i havent tried indoors with flash yet.

i dont know if any of my lenses are good. The 3 i use are pretty much new. The 70-200 ive used with the t6 and never had one issue.

I am in one shot, im also using single point focus.  Sorry if I missed some of your questions. The steps ive taken to replicate the problem have been inconsistent. I can take the same exact shot, same settings, same position, and get different results.

Im trying to find a pattern that shows the exact problem over and over again, feel likes its hit or miss. 

@KevinG1 wrote:

I havent tried a different body, because its the only one i have.

i havent tried indoors with flash yet.

i dont know if any of my lenses are good. The 3 i use are pretty much new. The 70-200 ive used with the t6 and never had one issue.

I am in one shot, im also using single point focus.  Sorry if I missed some of your questions. The steps ive taken to replicate the problem have been inconsistent. I can take the same exact shot, same settings, same position, and get different results.

Im trying to find a pattern that shows the exact problem over and over again, feel likes its hit or miss. 

First and foremost.  You bought used lens, which mean that they ain't new.  And, you got one from eBay, which makes your situation even worse, IMHO.  The only lens that you can halfway trust is the one that shipped with your camera, the 18-55mm.  Forget about the other lenses even existing, for now.  You want to eliminate and reduce unknowns, remember?

Your claim that you can the same, same, same is totally meaningless because you do not provide any speciffics.  No one knows what you may have done, except for you, and you do not know what you are doing.  Sorry, to be harsh, but that's the brutally honest truth.  Repeatedly saying, I press the shutter and it doesn't work does not help your case.  You need to help people to help YOU.

For all we know, one of those used lenses may have damaged your camera body.  Have you considred that possibility?  Once again. use the 18-55mm lens put the camera into Green [A] mode, and use the tripod indoors to take a flash photo.  Do not use Live View, use the view finder. 

The camera will most likely pop up the flash to take the photo.  Take note of exposure settings.  You can playback the photo in the camera, and write them down.  If you do not know what info to write down, this is what you want.  You need to record the shutter speed, the f/number, and the shutter speed.  Remember to use [A] mode, on the mode dial.

Doing so should capture an in-focus photograph, provided that the lens switch is set to AF.  Is it?

KevinG1
Enthusiast

KevinG1
Enthusiast
I posted a photo on the first page with the settings i used already. Maybe you missed it? I also dont need you to keep telling me i dont know what im doing. I heard you the first couple times.

My problem isnt shooting a small object close up. My problem is shooting a car and getting full detail on the car. Without having the wheels blurry, or hood, or emblems. You can see this from the photo I posted.

I just did exactly what you asked for , and had no issue. Focused on exactly what i wanted it too. Clear and detailed image. Again not the problem im having.

In AF
18-55 lens
Tripod
In a+

Im waiting for some daylight tomorrow and ill try to take better examples of what i mean. Clear as day on the first photoi took. Some parts of the car are in focus, rest blurry.

@KevinG1 wrote:
I posted a photo on the first page with the settings i used already. Maybe you missed it? I also dont need you to keep telling me i dont know what im doing. I heard you the first couple times.

My problem isnt shooting a small object close up. My problem is shooting a car and getting full detail on the car. Without having the wheels blurry, or hood, or emblems. You can see this from the photo I posted.

I just did exactly what you asked for , and had no issue. Focused on exactly what i wanted it too. Clear and detailed image. Again not the problem im having.

In AF
18-55 lens
Tripod
In a+

Im waiting for some daylight tomorrow and ill try to take better examples of what i mean. Clear as day on the first photoi took. Some parts of the car are in focus, rest blurry.

Okay, you tried what I suggested.  What happened?  What was the result?  If the result was a clear and detailed image, then the problem you are having is 100% operator error.  No doubt about that.  Your gear you bought from Canon works just fine.

The stuff you bought from eBay, and elsewhere, is probably garbage.

NO, I did not miss seeing the photo, which you admitted was a poor example of your issue.  Good luck.

heres 2 more sample photos i took today.

blurry shot was done in A+ settings, 1/100 f5.6 and iso of 100.  used the kit lens that came from the camera. 18-55. when using this mode it uses the 45pt AF and the whole front and side was lit with boxes

i inputed the same settings that was given to me when using A+ but shot this time in manual, and using single point af, pointed rite at the emblem on the fender.

both shot with one shot AF method

and using AF on the lens.

just reviewed the photos after posting them and cant tell too much. On the preview it really noticeable, also very noticeable in light room

CLEAR SHOT

IMG_4500.JPG

BLURRY. headlights, fender badge, wheels, hood all look out of focus

IMG_4501.JPG

@KevinG1 wrote:

heres 2 more sample photos i took today.

blurry shot was done in A+ settings, 1/100 f5.6 and iso of 100.  used the kit lens that came from the camera. 18-55. when using this mode it uses the 45pt AF and the whole front and side was lit with boxes

i inputed the same settings that was given to me when using A+ but shot this time in manual, and using single point af, pointed rite at the emblem on the fender.

both shot with one shot AF method

That indicates there is nothing wrong with your camera.

The blurry shot using 45 point AF was blurry because one of the 45 AF points found something closer to focus on than the car (leaves or rough pavement in the foreground).

The clear shot was clear because by using a single AF point you controlled where the camera focused, and it focused where it was supposed to.

Announcements