cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refurbished 80d...blurry out of focus photos.. HELP!

KevinG1
Enthusiast
Im new to photography, started this year with a rebel t6 that I outgrew fast. I seemed to learn pretty quick and have always shot in manual mode. Quality of my t6 photos are great! Clear, crisp, and so on.

decided to upgrade to a 80d, and picked one up through canon refurbished. Well the majority of my shots come out blurry. For example, i do car photography {stills} and lets say the wheels are out of focus, or the lights... cant seem to get consistent clear crisp photos.

Not sure if its me, or the camera. Seems all of my lenses will do it. Mostly shoot with the canon 50mm 1.4 and nothing comes out clear under f2.8. Best around 4.

Ive tried everything. Tripod, high shutter speed, manual focus.. live view, view finder, tried all different focus point methods. The one wierd thing I noticed is when i used live view today, it showed the image on the screen perfectly in focus and crisp. As soon as the shutter went of it became blurry. That was on a tripod, using 2 sec delay.

Hope someone can help me...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@KevinG1 wrote:
Gotcha. Ill just need to shoot more and see what methods work best for me.

Also i did a micro af adjustment and found my canon 50mm 1.4 was off a bit. Definitely wasn't helping me

I suggest that you reset your AFMA back to zero, until you gain more experience with the camera.  Learn how to half press the shutter when using One Shot mode, so that you can evaluate the AF points.

When you have all AF points active, like [A} mode, you may see multiple AF points light up.  Be aware of the fact that the camera is indicating which AF points are capable of achieving a focus lock, but only one AF point will actually be used to focus the shot.  The automatically selected AF point will typically rest on the closest object under an active AF point.

It is highly recommended that you configure the camera to always use the center AF point, which is the most sensitive and accurate AF point.  And, always use One Shot focusing mode, until you gain more experience using the camera to focus on the subject that you want.    

One final note.  The AF points are actually slightly larger than the red boxes you see in the viewfinder.  Placing an AF point on something may not always focus where you want it to.  The camera will focus on the highest contrast area that it can find within the AF point coverage area.  So aim your camera at vertical and horizontal contrasting lines.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

108 REPLIES 108

KevinG1
Enthusiast
I did know that rule about shutter speed, but didnt think of it as a 1.6 multiplier. The photo i just posted wasnt the best choice in showing the problem im having. Its been raining for 3 days and been very dark. I usually shoot with fast shutter speeds.

Even on a cloudy day it still cant get focus. Ive been using single point and putting it rite in the middle of the car, and tried moving it to the hood, or the wheels same outcome.

@KevinG1 wrote:
I did know that rule about shutter speed, but didnt think of it as a 1.6 multiplier. The photo i just posted wasnt the best choice in showing the problem im having. Its been raining for 3 days and been very dark. I usually shoot with fast shutter speeds.

Even on a cloudy day it still cant get focus. Ive been using single point and putting it rite in the middle of the car, and tried moving it to the hood, or the wheels same outcome.

Your shutter speed is WAY too slow, IMHO.  Do not be afraid to raise the ISO some., like to 400 or 800.  I’m guessing that it may start to show too much noise by ISO 3200.   The camera could be bad, but I would look at yourself as being at fault before you blame the camera.  Put a priority on using as fast a shutter speed as what is practical. 

Also, use One Shot focusing mode until you become more familiar with the camera, and general photography as a whole.  Learn how to properly hold the camera.  Read up on “ Exposure Triangle “ and “ Depth of Field “.  Read the camera’s instruction manual.  You can download a PDF from Canon Support.

I hate to say it, but you really do not know what you are doing, besides pressing the shutter button.

KevinG1
Enthusiast
Im hoping the problem is me and not the camera. Just out of ideas.

Ive watched a ton of videos, even ones that explain each setting of the camera. I do feel the problem is the AF points. Just trying to get a handle on the camera.

I know i new to photography, but i do understand the concept. Not saying im great, just that I understand how, iso, aperture, and shutter speed affect my image.

Knowing the shutter speed was too slow on my last photo i posted... but thats not a great example of how i shoot. I took that photo in a parking lot real quick at night just to try and post a idea of the problem im having. Usually shoot way faster shutters and in the daylight.

In live view the focus point is different then in the viewfinder. If that makes any sense. Like easier to get focus in live view then in view finder.

@KevinG1 wrote:

Ive watched a ton of videos, even ones that explain each setting of the camera. I do feel the problem is the AF points. Just trying to get a handle on the camera.

Did you watch these 3 videos done by Canon's Rudy Winston?

A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 1
A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 2
A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 3

KevinG1
Enthusiast
Yes i did. Thanks for posting the links! It helped me a lot.

Mr_Fusion
Enthusiast

I suggest closing up the aperture and raising your shutter speed. You can do both by increasing your ISO. Unless it was fairly dark, that car would have been good at f5.6 or even 8.0 and a shutter of 150+. My 80D gives very good shots at ISO 1600 and darned good at 3200. The only time I use ISO 100 or 200 is if I intend on making a large poster or it is a very bright, cloudless day.

Fast lenses are great. But only if you know how to use them. While you can get away with very shallow depth of field (DOF) and nice bokeh for still items, too often moving subjects will end up out of focus. Very small aperttures can also be problematic at the other end end. My advice is to be very careful when you work at the extremes. 

Also, for hand held shots, make sure your IS (Image Stabilization) is turned on. Learn how to brace yourself and squeeze the shutter instead of a quick push which causes jerking. Hold the camera with the heel of your left hand under the body and the thumb and fingers on the lens and your right hand gripping the body and shutter button. Keep your elbows tucked tight to your body. Space your feet out with your right foot back.

Use the camera's AF instead of manual focusing. I don't believe you can get a split screen focusing aid for the 80D. That makes manual focusing more difficult. 

Suggestion. Did you have the same problems with focusing with your T6i? If it had no problem focusing but the same lenses do on your 80D do, then the camera body could be the problem. 

KevinG1
Enthusiast
I didnt have t6i, its was just the t6. Thats what im basing all of this off of.

I had the rebel t6 with 50mm 1.8 and could shoot cars that aren't moving and use 1.8. That lens has IS and used single point AF. All phots came out clear and focused using single point.

Recently bought the 80d and 50mm 1.4 non IS.

When shooting cars that aren't moving, the majority of my shots will be missed focused with the 80d. Blurry wheels, blurry emblems, hood out of focus.. and such.

Ive tried all AF focus methods, moving my focus point to different parts of the car. Ive just been really in consistent with this camera.

Tried the kit lens too, same problem. Im sure my shooting methods aren't the best, but still have the same problem when using a tripod and 2 sec delay so my hands aren't on the camera.

The last 5 days have been raining, so trying to get more sample shots.

The only thing I really noticed was taking a shot in live view and then with view finder, the images will be very different

I am not aware of any recent Canon 50mm lenses that include IS.  Are you looking through the viewfinder when you take photos, or using the LCD in Live View mode?  

Are you certain the AF/MF switch is set to AF?  Have you tried the swapping lenses between your camera bodies?  Are you sure that the lenses are good?

Have you tried switching the mode dial to A mode, and taking an indoor shot with the flash?  If you have a tripod, use it.  If you have any AFMA adjustment settings entered, then clear them all out, too, for all lenses.  Let’s eliminate as many variables as we can.

AFAIK, every piece of gear sold through Canon’s Refurbished Store is hand checked before being packaged.  I have bought a ton of gear through the online outlet, and never once had a problem with the gear malfunctioning out of the box, or at all for that matter.  I have experienced problems with gear bought elsewhere, but NEVER from the Canon Refurbished Store.

KevinG1
Enthusiast
The 50mm 1.4 i got from mpb, basically in new condition but used still.

The 70-200 i got on ebay from a private seller, and said never used.

The 18-55 i got with the 80d body from canon.

I dont have any saved AFMA

I always use the view finder, but tried the lcd to see if anything was different, and it was.

A+, tv, av all seem to do it. I haven't used any of the other settings like portrait and such, and also havent done anything in doors with a flash.

Its in AF. The wierd thing is it looks clear and spot on with focus, until the shutter is pressed. Same with a tripod and using timer

Contact Canon Support.  Your comments continue to suggest that your camera needs service.

Announcements