cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Record to both CF AND SD cards on 5Dm3

mjroddy
Contributor

Can we record to both the CF and the SD cards at the same time on our 5D3 cameras?
I thought we could, and I set up the camera's menu to:
Record Func. = Rec to multiple
Playback = [2]
But when I record a clip, it ONLY seems to record to where I have the "Playback" pointed.
Is that Record to Multiple ONLY for still images?

13 REPLIES 13

cicopo
Elite

Haven't shot a 5D3 but the cameras I do use need to be set to BACKUP and then you set which files go to the cards (both, Raw card X & jpg to card Y or the reverse).

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

mjroddy
Contributor

Almost 100 views, but no answers.  I'd have thought this, being the Canon site, I'd have had a quick Reply here from someone.

Any suggestions where I should pose my query that I might get an answer soon?  I have an upcoming shoot, so I'd like to solve this ASAP.

Thanks!

@mjroddy wrote:

Almost 100 views, but no answers.  I'd have thought this, being the Canon site, I'd have had a quick Reply here from someone.

Any suggestions where I should pose my query that I might get an answer soon?  I have an upcoming shoot, so I'd like to solve this ASAP.

Thanks!

Most people on here shoot stills.  Not that there aren't videographers, but most of the regulars seem to be on the stills side.  That probably has something to do with the low response.

I'd recommend posting on CanonRumors.com.  Lots of very knowledgeable people there; and no shortage of 5d3 owners.  Post to this Forum:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?board=47.0

Thanks, Skirball! I'll do that for sure. Good suggestion!
Cheers!

Hi mate, I'm having the same issues as you it seems. Have you had any luck solving this issue? I expected that I could use the SD card as a mirror of the CF card for my videos but it seems that only the photos are saved to both cards.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This does seem to be a more 'stills' site than a video site. So I asked my videographer bud about it and he said......

You can select which card movies will be recorded to, but there is no overflow or mirroring capability

for movies with the 5d Mk III.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

This is, unfortunately, what I've found too: NO way to mirror video footage in-camera.  Some newer cameras do this, but not our beloved 5D3.

I find that extremely disappointing, I'm gonna have to look at some expensive external drive options now as no backup isn't an option. Many thanks for your swift response.

Agreed.

I was SO burned by some VERY high-end cards that I'm no a little "freaked out" shooting with the camera (onto CF cards). 

One practice I was told to use is to (for CF cards) format the card first in your computer, then again in your camera just before use.

I've done this and so far, I've had much better results.  Not FLAWLESS, but MUUUUUCH better (I was really burned).

Hope that helps a bit...

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements