cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T4I or 60D for starter camera ? This is my first DSLR camera.

hustler98
Apprentice

I am new to this camera industry and I am looking for some insight from anyone who can help me here.  I recently took a few classes and am very interested in investing in a good camera with lens.  I am looking to shoot lots of kid photos and also as my 10 month old child gets older, I want to capture his sporting events and even take it on vacation.  I heard that I should invest more money into the lens instead of the camera.   The lens I am eyeing is EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.  I've seen it in action and what it can do and would like some input also on the lens.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Ken

6 REPLIES 6

garphoto
Contributor

Ken, if you have the money for the lens then you should go for the more advanced camera of the two slections you have made and choose the T4i. In doing so, you will find that it will be longer in replacing the camera because of the "bells and whistles" you desire then if you purchased the 60D. I went to DP Review and created a side by side comparrison so that you can get a better view of the two cameras head to head. While there are subtle differences; environmental sealing, processor and ISO (at highest range); it is my opinion that you will findthe newer camera of the two the most suitable for your needs.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos650d&products=canon_eos60d

Gar Travis, asmp, CPS, ISAP

"Talent makes the photographer...
Canon makes the photographer memorable." ~ GT©

I have had the 60 Do for a year and love it. Really solid camera. I have had 4 canon bodies and this one is the best. 

Josh Hunt

www.joshhuntphotos.com

BrickR
Enthusiast

I would take a 60d over a brand new T4i. Why? Price. A 60d for the same price, or a little less, than a T4i is a better deal IMO. I got my first DSLR (T2i) brand new, and got a 60d a year and a half later refurbished for less than the T2i was new and honestly feel that a brand new Rebel is overpriced. A T3i is better priced if you want a swivel screen and if you don't need a swivel screen, a T2i is wonderfully priced.

A 60d with a 17-55 is WAY better than a T4i with any kit lens.

60d has better battery, top LCD, better viewfinder, better ISO selection (Rebels only do full stops not thirds), better shutter, extra control dial, etc.

The T4i is the latest and greatest Rebel, buy even if you're happy with it, you'll want just those few extra features (and a new Rebel will be out next year so the price will drop quickly in a year (less since its been out for a little while)

Agree with BrickR on this. I'll also point you to a review site which I respect more than DP Review because I think they are more objective / less influenced by their advertisers.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/MFR1.HTM?view=Canon_reviews

You're lens choice should be ideal for the current needs.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks for the info! I heard lots of people use DP Review but I will also use the one you recommended for comparison. Appreciate everyone's thoughts

shoot_ric
Contributor

Rent what you like, play with it and then decide. 

Announcements