cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The Canon 6D and which compatible lenses?

dakatz44
Apprentice

I have a Canon 6d and I am trying use a canon lens ef 50mm II.  It does not appear to be compatible with the 6D.  After I take one picture, the mirror seems to lock up.  I thought all EF lenses were compatible with the 6D full frame camera/

Help.

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I'd start by checking the lens button.  Then power off the the camera and remove the lens.  Reconnect, power on and retest.

Have you tested it with another body?  To rule out an issue with the lens itself. 

Oh, that EF 50 II...  That predates the STM.  The "nifty fifty" 1st gen v2 with the super narrow focus ring at the very front of the barrel.   

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/lenses/ef/standard-medium-telepho...

It should be compatible, (on paper) but is it really... is the big question.

Other possible solutions:

You can also try resetting the camera to defaults, but if this is the only lens you are having trouble with, I doubt it will help. 

Are you running the latest FW for the 6D?  Its currently at v1.18.  Also unlikely to fix based on the age of the lens if its works elsewhere.

The 50 STM is compatible for sure, and is actually a nicer lens.  Metal lens mount and 7 aperture blades vs. plastic mount and 5 in the II.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

If there is a compatibility problem, you'd better make certain that the mirror isn't actually hitting the back of the lens. That could do a lot of damage (and is one of the reasons that EF-S lenses aren't compatible with FF cameras).

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@dakatz44 wrote:

I have a Canon 6d and I am trying use a canon lens ef 50mm II.  It does not appear to be compatible with the 6D.  After I take one picture, the mirror seems to lock up.  I thought all EF lenses were compatible with the 6D full frame camera/

Help.

If the issue only happens with the one lens, then that is pretty odd.  Your camera almost sounds like it in Mirror Lockup mode.  Check for it in the menus, and disable it.  Mirror Lockup mode requires two presses of the shutter.  One to raise the mirror, and a second to take a picture, which drops the mirror after the shutter is activated.

Check the camera is not in Movie Mode, by checking that little button next to the viewfinder.  It is very easy to accidentally flip that button from Live View to Movie Mode when handling the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

See if you accidentally set Quite Mode shooting.  All EF lenses are compatible with the 6D.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements