cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protecting your Gear - Dirt Track Racing

sfmalone2001
Apprentice

Hi everyone,

I''ve been asked to take some pictures of a few races, late model cars on a dirt track.  I've not shot races before and they are aware of this.  I was looking for suggestions or products that I should use to keep my 1DX safe from all the dirt and dust while down on the track.

I appreciate it.

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

They make the clear bags that have a clear filter, that might be best.

go to B&H and search "rain protection"

Thanks for the tip, I was thinking that, but thought maybe a case would be added protection.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@sfmalone2001 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I''ve been asked to take some pictures of a few races, late model cars on a dirt track.  I've not shot races before and they are aware of this.  I was looking for suggestions or products that I should use to keep my 1DX safe from all the dirt and dust while down on the track.

I appreciate it.

What lens do you plan to use?  Installing a clear filter might be a good idea.  If it isn't raining, I think your 1Dx may get dusty, but it should come through it just fine.  If it is dusty, then changing lenses on the track may introduce dust into the body.  Carry a second camera body and lens, if you can.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I will have both my 1DX and my 5D MK III.  I will probably have mty 70-200 2.8 on the 1DX and my 24-105 on the 5D.

Thanks for the tip.  I know all the gear has great weather proofing from the winters where I live, just wasn't sure about dust.  I am not planning on swapping any lens while shooting the races.

@sfmalone2001 wrote:

I will have both my 1DX and my 5D MK III.  I will probably have mty 70-200 2.8 on the 1DX and my 24-105 on the 5D.

Thanks for the tip.  I know all the gear has great weather proofing from the winters where I live, just wasn't sure about dust.  I am not planning on swapping any lens while shooting the races.

I like your lens choices.  Not all of the 70-200mm Canon lenses have good weather sealing, just the ones with IS.  The EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM doesn't seem to be as well sealed, so I would be inclined to protect that one with a clear filter.  It really depends upon how dusty the place is, though. Your gear is gonna get dirty, no matter what you do.

When you mentioned a case, I assume you mean something to carry the cameras before you begin using them.  I have taken a liking to holster bags.  I have two Lowepro Toploader 75 AW II holster bags.  They are large enough to hold a pro-size body with a 70-200mm lens attached, with a reversed hood and tripod foot.  It also has a rain cover, and rain covers make for very good dust covers, so the bag stays clean when I am in the woods.  I can was the cover in the washing machine, and air dry.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@sfmalone2001 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I appreciate it.

If it's a lucrative assignment, or one that may lead to more work in the future, just do your best to keep the camera out of harm's way, accepting that afterwards you may have to send it to a Canon shop for a thorough cleaning. If you're just doing a favor for a friend, go to the back of your closet, drag out your "beach camera" (don't forget to charge the batteries), and use that.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

sfmalone2001,

"...  products that I should use to keep my 1DX safe from all the dirt and dust ..."

None!  Join CPS and get C&C at regular intervals.  Common sense is your friend but if you are so worried about your gear, you won't get the best shots.

Protective filters on all your lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements