cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please, Canon, when, oh when will you replace the obsolete 7D with new flagship APS-C sensor camera?

sierranvin
Contributor

We need a mirrorless, big megapixel APS-C sensor camera with vastly improved High ISO and auto focus to keep us from switching the entire equipment bag over to Sony. And no, as wildlife photographers, we do not want full frame sensor and all the extra weight! Also, I am very, very tired of your "Old Uncle" designers and engineers

de facto telling me I don't need larger MP files!

9 REPLIES 9

diverhank
Authority

I wouldn't say the 7D is obsolete just yet but I agree that we need a new APS-C replacement with better ISO and Autofocus and as many megapixel as possible...for wildlife photographers....there are many times we need to crop and crop and crop...

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

hsbn
Whiz

Canon never reveals anything or say anything in the forum. Even if thousands of people come here to complain would not change that. So it's kind of pointless. Whatever camera they plan to relelase next is already "completed"; and nothing us user say could change it ... Maybe you can vote with your wallet and move to Nikon/Sony.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

@hsbn - yes, voting with wallet before next big int'l trip is clearly next step barring release of hypothetical excellent 7D replacement! The characteristics and features of Canon's recent releases of "any model you need, as long as it isn't a 7D replacement" honestly do not inspire much optimism, either

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You all know as well as I do, there is no free lunch. Cramming pixels on any sensor reaches a point of diminishing returns.

As far as mirrorless goes, they are not even close to DSLR, yet, and I for one would not even entertain the prospect of purchasing one. Have you seen the smear and blur?

I realize it is not always possible but one *free* solution for a wildlife photographer that needs bigger pictures is,

get closer.Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

A ebiggs-

well, that's cute, but when a lg. grizz entered the trail out of tall berries, ~ 75 ft ahead, I jumped behind the godsend dogleg in the trail and ran, I didn't celebrate the closeness or wonder if there were one or two cubs a few feet behind and still hidden. You stand your ground and shoot all you want! Snarky comments implying deficient stalking skills add no value.

At least 2 yrs. ago I read where Canon had developed a 120MP sensor in the research labs... that's 120, not twelve!

Oh, but it's ok if you're a Canon apologist- saying all's well is your job!

A serranvin,

"... you need to switch brands"

This is good avice, do it.Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Skirball
Authority

@sierranvin wrote:

big megapixel APS-C sensor camera with vastly improved High ISO

Not going to happen at the same time; those two variables work against each other.

Canon obviously is behind the pack with mirrorless.  If that's what you're after you need to switch brands.  Though I'd recommend actually trying one before you jump.  The technology still has a ways to go, IMO.

Re: Larger MP.  Sure, if there were no compromises then obviously more pixels are better because you can crop more.  But given the tradeoff of high ISO performance and resolution, I’ll take the latter.  With the exception of being able to take large crops, I don’t need any more MP than I already have.

@ skirball - "Not going to happen at the same time; those two variables work against each other."

That emphatically seems to be the case at Canon, yet I look out at our grand world and believe Moore's law is still working in our favor...

It’s not Canon, it’s every digital sensor manufacture.  What you’re failing to understand is that camera performance isn’t purely dictated by microprocessing, there are physical constraints added to the equation.   Moore’s law only accounts for chip performance, it doesn’t apply to sensors trying to count photons.  The signal to noise ratio in modern cameras at high ISOs is largely dictated by the very act of counting photons and is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics, not Moore’s prediction of technology.  Yes, the technology will get better with time, offering more MP and higher ISO capabilities, but these two things are inherently opposite of each other.  If you want more MP, high ISO performance is going to suffer.  It’s physics, not Canon.

Announcements