cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan B - version 135 (amended)

Steves_8
Contributor

Right. I started out planning to spend a few 000's on a second body to replace my 6yo (I thought it was bit younger than that, but just ckecked) 5D3. Obvious answer: 5D4.

Then I thought, what about a cheaper but still competent body, plus a lens? I then looked at the 6D2 and a 24-70 f/2.8L (which would mean selling my 24-105 f/4L to fund the extra required).

Then I read some good reviews of the 7D2. Cheaper still, this would mean I could add a zoom, such as the 10-400L MKII.

That's where I am currently - the 7D2 plus version 2 of the 100-400mm. My thinking is that, with arthritis limiting my DSLR photography to perhaps another 5-6yrs only, and with justy 30K shutter actuations on the 5D3 so far (plenty of life left and reduced duty would extend that), perhaps my priority should be in expanding my gear's capabilities.

That being so, I think the 7D2 and 100-400 would be the best choice, not least in terms of possible focal lengths (thus photography possibilities). The two bodies, one FF the other crop, my existing lenses and 1.4TC III, would mean I could cover everything from 16 - 1200mm. The two body formats would give me decent low light shooting (the 5D3) plus speed for sports and reach for wildlife and sports.

My only reservation is the age of the 7D2's technology. I am leaning away from the similarly-capable 80D because I need pretty rugged build quality for when I'm stumbling through the Australian bush, chasing trials bikes and critters.

15 REPLIES 15

Ray-uk
Whiz

It does sound as though the 7D2 will be the right camera for you. I shouldn't worry about the age of the technology, it is still at the top of that range of Canon cameras.

The 80D has a slightly newer sensor design but lacks in features and rugged build quality, in reality there isn't that much improvement in IQ.

The other advantage to the 7D2 is that the controls are laid out in the same way as the 5D3 and this makes life much easier if you are swapping between cameras.

Of course you could wait for the 7D3 but nobody knows what that will offer or when it is coming.

@Ray-ukwrote:

It does sound as though the 7D2 will be the right camera for you. I shouldn't worry about the age of the technology, it is still at the top of that range of Canon cameras.

The 80D has a slightly newer sensor design but lacks in features and rugged build quality, in reality there isn't that much improvement in IQ.

The other advantage to the 7D2 is that the controls are laid out in the same way as the 5D3 and this makes life much easier if you are swapping between cameras. ...

Ray is quite right. My wife once mistook my 5D3 for her 7D2. Used it for an hour or so and never noticed her error.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am a big 7D and 7D Mk II fan.  You'll love it.  Full on professional build very similar to the 5D Mk III you already own.

"...with justy 30K shutter actuations on the 5D3..."

That is just getting broke in.  30K is nothing for a 5d3.  I have friends with 5 series cameras that are well into the hundreds of thousand clicks.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

diverhank
Authority

Steve, it's not clear to me whether you are thinking of replacing the 5D3 with the 7D2 or using both?

To me the two cameras are different depending on what you shoot.

My solution was to use both.  I had a 5D3 then added a 7D2 for BIF and airplanes.  I would not be using the 7D2 alone because at times, I just love the full frame FOV.

I know that one can easily do anything with just one camera but where is the fun in that :).  I recently acquired a 5DSR to add to my collection.  Turned out I fell in love with it too.  The added resolution gives me a chance to be spoiled and can crop to my heart's content.  Thus far I'm keeping all 3 but might eventually retire the 5D3.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhankwrote:

Steve, it's not clear to me whether you are thinking of replacing the 5D3 with the 7D2 or using both?

To me the two cameras are different depending on what you shoot.

I'll be using both. I have a two-camera harness which I used when shooting pro but haven't used it for a few years. If the weight is bearable, I would probably put the 24-105 on the 5D3 and the 70-200 on the 7D2. It depends on the terrain and the light.

Not having to swap lenses would be a big benefit as I'm a bit slow and fumbly these days, plus the events here in Oz are often dry and dusty, so lens swaps can allow dust into the equipment.

OK, even I got tired of my prevaricating. Just placed an order for a 7D2, EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L II and a Speedlite 600EX II-RT (to replace the Nissin).

So my kit will be 5D3, 7D2, 16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-105mm f/4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L II, Canon TC 1.4x III and Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro plus paraphenalia.

I think that should cover 99% of the subjects I like to photograph without resorting to stronger painkillers.

So my kit will be 5D3, 7D2, 16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-105mm f/4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L II, Canon TC 1.4x III and Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro plus paraphenalia.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds great, don't forget the trolley to carry it all Smiley LOL

@Steves_8wrote:

OK, even I got tired of my prevaricating. Just placed an order for a 7D2, EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L II and a Speedlite 600EX II-RT (to replace the Nissin).

I think that should cover 99% of the subjects I like to photograph without resorting to stronger painkillers.

That is a very nice kit.  I have a 6D, instead of the 5D3, and the EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, instead of the Sigma.  Unfortunately, it also makes for a good argument against using teleextenders.  I have recently dropped the 7D2 for a 6D2, which can take advantage of the TC more efficiently.

You may be a little disappointed using the 1.4x III with the 100-400mm.  I know I was, when I used it with the 7D2.  Only 1 AF point is available with that combination on a 7D2.  You would not use a TC with the 16-35mm, or the 24-105mm.  Having a 100-400mm in your bag almost makes using the TC with the 70-200mm moot.  My expectation would be that it would not work with the Sigma Macro, but perhaps it would.

While the 80D may not have the weather sealing of the 7D2, it works VERY well with the 1.4x III and 100-400mm II.  The 80D gives you 27 f/8 AF points, arranged as three rows of 9 AF points.  The same AF system is used in the 6D2..  Both bodies track moving subjects very well, much better than a 7D2, IMHO.

I am not knocking the 7D2.  I am just warning you what to expect when you use  the TC with that gear.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzlewrote:

@Steves_8wrote:

That is a very nice kit.  I have a 6D, instead of the 5D3, and the EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, instead of the Sigma.  Unfortunately, it also makes for a good argument against using teleextenders.  I have recently dropped the 7D2 for a 6D2, which can take advantage of the TC more efficiently.

You may be a little disappointed using the 1.4x III with the 100-400mm.  I know I was, when I used it with the 7D2.  Only 1 AF point is available with that combination on a 7D2.  You would not use a TC with the 16-35mm, or the 24-105mm.  Having a 100-400mm in your bag almost makes using the TC with the 70-200mm moot.  My expectation would be that it would not work with the Sigma Macro, but perhaps it would.

While the 80D may not have the weather sealing of the 7D2, it works VERY well with the 1.4x III and 100-400mm II.  The 80D gives you 27 f/8 AF points, arranged as three rows of 9 AF points.  The same AF system is used in the 6D2..  Both bodies track moving subjects very well, much better than a 7D2, IMHO.

I am not knocking the 7D2.  I am just warning you what to expect when you use  the TC with that gear.

I don't agree with that statement. The 70-200 with a 1.4X is still a constant-aperture f/4 lens, which is a half to a full stop better than the 100-400.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements