cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phottix Ares won't trigger my off camera 430 ex II when using iPhone EOS remote app!

Samhark
Apprentice

I have a Canon 6D, a canon 430ex II and a set of Phottix Ares transmitter and receiver. I have set up my flash off camera and was planning to use the camera’s wifi capability to take a self portrait with my iPhone EOS remote app, but the flash wouldn't fire at all. When I turned off the app and phisically pressed the shutter it worked but never through the app. Then I thought of mounting the 430 directly onto the camera, used the remote app to shoot wirelessly and I was surprised that it worked!!! I coudn't find the logic behind this and I tried to find an answer everywhere with no hope!

Has anyone gone through tha same experience or have any explanation or solution to this problem? or any alternative solution to get the flash to trigger while shooting wirelessly? thanks.

[Mod note: Moved to "EOS" because issue seems to be with the EOS App. You'll get more exposure here!]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Skirball
Authority

If you are shooting using Live View (through the app) it won't fire the flashes like that.  But if you just use the app to release the shutter and review the pics it will.  It's been awhile since I've used the app, but there's a button or something to go between live view and standard shooting.

That said, I've read that some cameras can work around this by going into the menu and disabling silent shooting, and then Live View will work with simple triggers.  I've never done it as I don't shoot in live view, but I've seen this discussed a lot.  Not sure if the same can be said for the app, but it's worth a shot (no pun intended).

http://www.p4pictures.com/2011/02/live-view-mode-and-flash-on-your-eos-dslr/

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Skirball
Authority

If you are shooting using Live View (through the app) it won't fire the flashes like that.  But if you just use the app to release the shutter and review the pics it will.  It's been awhile since I've used the app, but there's a button or something to go between live view and standard shooting.

That said, I've read that some cameras can work around this by going into the menu and disabling silent shooting, and then Live View will work with simple triggers.  I've never done it as I don't shoot in live view, but I've seen this discussed a lot.  Not sure if the same can be said for the app, but it's worth a shot (no pun intended).

http://www.p4pictures.com/2011/02/live-view-mode-and-flash-on-your-eos-dslr/

Skirball, you've made my day. I have tried to think of everything except the relation between the radio trigger and live view. I just tried switching it off and... Voilà, it is alive 😄 The only thing that confused me at first was that the ex430 has worked when mounted even with live view; still confusing though! I haven't experimented with the silent mode but will definitely do and share the result with you. Thanks again for such a great help.

Glad I could help.

@Samhark wrote:
The only thing that confused me at first was that the ex430 has worked when mounted even with live view; still confusing though!

If you're talking about on-camera flash, I believe that Canon brand flashes will work in Live View when mounted.  The problem is if using the radio triggers then it doesn't matter what brand the flash is, it just sees a generic device.

Give the silent shooting workaround a try (you have to disable it through the menu, not the drive button).  I've been curious to try it myself just to see, but never really have a use for Live View when using off-camera flash so I never think about it.

Announcements