cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise when taking pictures

Sio
Apprentice
I just bought my canon 6d mark2 with canon with canon 20-70 ii lense and it’s noisy when I take pictures
20 REPLIES 20

@TCampbell wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...but the very soft click that the near-silent mode uses isn't distracting."

Ever shot a wedding, Tim?  Don't believe that for an instant.

Ernie, I've done about 500 weddings... what was the point of your asking such a question?

The studio used Hasselblad 500 c/m cameras (it wasn't my personal camera).  This camera is probably louder than most... not only did it have a huge reflex mirror, it also had a couple of "barn doors" that protected the film plane.  T'he actual "shutter" was a leaf shutter inside the lens (which also meant it didn't have max shuttter speed sync issues like most focal plane shutter cameras).  But it was distractingly loud (and we took a few precautions to try to reduce the distraction... but there's only so much you can do.  If you use such a camera, everyone in that church hears the sound.)  I had a Rolliecord (a low end Rolleiflex) and these TLR cameras only have a leaf shutter... no mirror slap, no barn doors, etc.  So they have pretty quiet shutters.  I knew a few studio wedding photographers who used Rollei's.  

Meanwhile back to DSLR cameras... my 5D II was pretty loud.  However I've also shot with my 5D III & IV in "silent" mode... and the shutter isn't technically "silent"... but it is much softer and that's basically the whole point of the mode.

Ernie, I'm not sure what recent Canon gear you own or if you've had a chance to use one of the newer models with the "silent" mode (or used one at a wedding) but they are pretty soft.  My 5D IV is softer than my 5D III.

Boy, does that take me back. My father had a Rolleicord. and I'm not sure I've ever encountered anyone else who did.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements