cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise when taking pictures

Sio
Apprentice
I just bought my canon 6d mark2 with canon with canon 20-70 ii lense and it’s noisy when I take pictures
20 REPLIES 20

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...but the very soft click that the near-silent mode uses isn't distracting."

Ever shot a wedding, Tim?  Don't believe that for an instant.

Ernie, I've done about 500 weddings... what was the point of your asking such a question?

The studio used Hasselblad 500 c/m cameras (it wasn't my personal camera).  This camera is probably louder than most... not only did it have a huge reflex mirror, it also had a couple of "barn doors" that protected the film plane.  T'he actual "shutter" was a leaf shutter inside the lens (which also meant it didn't have max shuttter speed sync issues like most focal plane shutter cameras).  But it was distractingly loud (and we took a few precautions to try to reduce the distraction... but there's only so much you can do.  If you use such a camera, everyone in that church hears the sound.)  I had a Rolliecord (a low end Rolleiflex) and these TLR cameras only have a leaf shutter... no mirror slap, no barn doors, etc.  So they have pretty quiet shutters.  I knew a few studio wedding photographers who used Rollei's.  

Meanwhile back to DSLR cameras... my 5D II was pretty loud.  However I've also shot with my 5D III & IV in "silent" mode... and the shutter isn't technically "silent"... but it is much softer and that's basically the whole point of the mode.

Ernie, I'm not sure what recent Canon gear you own or if you've had a chance to use one of the newer models with the "silent" mode (or used one at a wedding) but they are pretty soft.  My 5D IV is softer than my 5D III.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Well I never used a Hassie for a wedding but I have used all the 1 series sans the 1Dx Mk II for weddings.  Even in retirement I seem to find six or so a year to do.   I no longer seek them out but they find me.  Along with the 1 series I have helpers that are shooting various models mostly Rebels.

I am generally the only shooter for the actual service, though. I have had priest, pastors, reverends whatever tell me it is OK t do whatever I need.  Move around, flash, even access to the altar.  I have had priest, pastors, reverends whatever tell me if they know I am there, they will stop the service and ask me to leave.  Now in reality most are somewhere in between.  But I can tell you the folks sitting close to where I am shooting know when I click.  They generally turn and look!

It depends on the facility.  Some churches are extremely quiet.  Some aren't so quiet.  But it sure seems like you can hear that click a long ways a way.  Silent mode or not.  I have used silent mode, snapped the shutter and gone out in the foyer to release it.   

" I've done about 500 weddings..."  I did not know you were a wedding photographer.  Your experience must have been different from mine.  Because I never shot any wedding where a Hasselblad was required.  I'm am not and was not that high on the food chain.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I think your 1D series bodies have it, but may require using EOS Utility to "install" the function (depending on camera).  

See:  https://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/silent_mode_eosmarkiii_cameras_article.htmlp

Also, they point out that how & what silent shooting does can vary depending on model.  So "silent" mode on your camera may be completely different than "silent" mode on other models.

I am not aware of any Rebel series body having the feature.  I don't think the mid-range bodies have it either (my 60Da doesn't have it.)

Though the shutter curtains do make sound, the most significant amount of noise comes from the mirror slap.  In "silent" mode cameras simply slow down the speed to dampen the sound ... it's more of a slow slushy sound rather than quick clicking/snapping sound.  Since it doesn't have that percussive slap, it's much less likely to be noticed.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

"In "silent" mode cameras simply slow down the speed to dampen the sound ."

Tim I don't know if you have ever used a 1 series before but the first press on the shutter button releases the shutter.  When you release the button the shutter re-sets.  You get two clicks.  Each softer than when you use it in One Shot.  I have put the camera under my jacket when I released the shutter to make it quieter.

"I am not aware of any Rebel series body having the feature."

Like I said we never (rarely) used the Rebels during the ceremony.  So, that is moot.

"In "silent" mode cameras simply slow down the speed to dampen the sound ... "

Try a 1 series sometime.

Tim,

I am surprised if you have shot 500 weddings for hire you haven't run into the things that all my buds say is SOP.  We run into every possible situation and personality conceivable.  Some tolerant and some not.  Once I think, well now I have seen it all, something else comes up.

EB

BTW, if I remember correctly that is the same way the 5 series works,too.

EB

Off topic a bit but how about this for am example of what not to expect when you are on a shoot?

_DX_0367-Edit.jpg

On a shoot Wednesday (yesterday) out by Wamego, Kansas.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Off topic a bit but how about this for am example of what not to expect when you are on a shoot?

_DX_0367-Edit.jpg

On a shoot Wednesday (yesterday) out by Wamego, Kansas.

What are we looking for? This is even more opaque than the lens quiz. The road itself? I guess it isn't the Kansas Turnpike, but it looks passable. Were you supposed to be meeting a client out there in the boondocks?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yes we were on a shoot.  The point was intended to be, you need to be ready for anything if you want to be a successful pro photographer making a living with your camera.

Excessive noise, from lens or camera, in a church is just one of them.  You do what you need to do!

EB

Ernie, the thread is about shutter noise.  If you’d like to discuss shooting weddings, please ask in another thread or in a private message.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Tim it was qualified,

"Off topic a bit but how about this for am example of what not to expect when you are on a shoot?"

EB
Announcements