cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise when taking pictures

Sio
Apprentice
I just bought my canon 6d mark2 with canon with canon 20-70 ii lense and it’s noisy when I take pictures
20 REPLIES 20

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Sio wrote:
I just bought my canon 6d mark2 with canon with canon 20-70 ii lense and it’s noisy when I take pictures

What is noisy?  The camera or the lens?  Some shutter noise from the camera body is normal.  The lens should be quiet.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Sio
Apprentice
I mean when I click to take pictures t it sound weird

I suspect you are used to using P & S cameras which do not have to flip a mirror up before opening & closing a mechanical shutter & then lowering the mirror back down.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The lens should be quiet."

Quiet but not silent.  All DSLR's make noise when they operate.  The exception is mirrorless cameras which the 6D Mk II is not.

You really need to be more specific about "noise".

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"The lens should be quiet."

Quiet but not silent.  All DSLR's make noise when they operate.  The exception is mirrorless cameras which the 6D Mk II is not.

You really need to be more specific about "noise".

Yes, lenses can make soft whirring and purring noises.  BUT..A lens should be idle, and dead quiet, when you press the shutter.

"BUT..A lens should be idle, and dead quiet, when you press the shutter."

If a lens has IS it makes a sound when you press the shutter button.  It is not 'silent'.  And the OP said, "...canon 20-70 ii lense and it’s noisy when I take pictures"  He must be pressing the shutter button.  Don't you think?

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"BUT..A lens should be idle, and dead quiet, when you press the shutter."

If a lens has IS it makes a sound when you press the shutter button.  It is not 'silent'.  And the OP said, "...canon 20-70 ii lense and it’s noisy when I take pictures"  He must be pressing the shutter button.  Don't you think?

Correct.  The shutter is being fully pressed, to take the picture, not half pressed for focusing.  The lens should stop moving.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

DSLR cameras actually have a mechanical reflex mirror & shutter mechanism.  The noise you are hearing is mostly the sound of the mirror-slap when the shutter activates.

Many digital cameras (that are not DSLRs) make a little noise meant to emulate the sound of a shutter (they play a little audio clip that sounds like a camera click) but they don't actually have a real mechanical shutter.  DSLRs DO have a real mechanical shutter... the sound you hear isn't an audio clip... it's the real deal.

Here's a YouTube video that shows you what's happening inside your camera (filmed at high speed and played back in slow motion so you can actually see what it's doing).

I believe your 6D II also supports the "silent" shutter mode.  It isn't really silent... what it actually does is runs the reflex mirror slower to reduce the sound of the mirror-slap ... so you still get noise, but it's not as hard & loud as when you run the mirror at normal speed.  The photographer and people who are very close to the camera still hear the sound, but those farther away may not hear it (or at least it's quiet enough that it doesn't bother anyone).

Wedding photographers like the feature because when they're trying to be discreet while shooting during a wedding ceremony, the traditional "click click click" of the shutter was distracting to those at the ceremony... but the very soft click that the near-silent mode uses isn't distracting.

When you change the shooting modes on your camera, you'll notice a couple of them have a small "S" next to the icon... those are the (near) "silent" shutter modes.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

"...but the very soft click that the near-silent mode uses isn't distracting."

Ever shot a wedding, Tim?  Don't believe that for an instant.

EB
Announcements