cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No sign of images shot

rk1
Apprentice

My shoot didnt record ,  in my Canon 5D Mark III. I had been using the flash and even that was firing fine. I didnt get any error and my camera is set on dont press shutter when there is no card. I had two cards in my camera neither recorded anything I recovered them but inspite of earlier assigments being recovered there was no sign of these images not even corrupt files. Recently the only issue i have had with the camera that I have had for over two years now is that the battery needs to be inserted but whenever I have taken it out and put it back it has worked. This time I didnt even get that. I tried to see the images and it said cant playback. After that the camera worked fine the images recorded but the earlier images are nowwhere to be seen. Im foxed and worried that this could happen to me again. I will reset the camera seetings but any other advice on what it could be and how to counter it before it happens to me again

5 REPLIES 5

Did you check to make sure that the image didn't simply get written to a different folder? That can happen if, for example, the card had been previously used in a different camera and not formatted in the meantime. Also, don't forget that a 5D3 will, if you remove the active card, permanently switch to the other card if one is present.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

...from the EOS 5D Mark III Instruction Manual ... ...

"Folders can contain up to 9999 images.  When a folder becomes full, a new folder with the folder number increased by one is created automatically.  Also, if a manual reset is executed, a new folder will be created automatically."

"Folder names must start with three digits [the folder number] beginning with "100" and progessing up to "999".  If the file number in folder 999 reaches 99999, shooting will not be possible, even if the card still has storage capacity.  The LCD will display a message telling you to replace the card.  Replace it with a new card."

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... any other advice on what it could be and how to counter it before it happens to me again"

This almost a certainty to happen again,  It isn't possible to take a photo and not have the camera save it.  Unless one of the following issues exist.  No card, faulty card or a computer problem with your computer.

This is going to require Canon Service.  You need to call them today.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

wwwayne
Apprentice

My newer 6D just developed a similar problem.  When I first turn on the camera I can take one photo and it will save and display that photo.  But if I keep taking photos none of the subsequent photos are saved ("no image" is displayed on LCD).  If I turn off the camera, and then turn it back on I can take one more photo.  At this point I see two photos saved.  I can keep turning off, and on, and take one more photo each time.  But I can't leave it on and have the camera save subsequent photos.  Very odd.  Suggestions?  Thank you...

HI wwwayne!

Welcome to the Canon Community and thank you for your post!

The first thing we'd try is a new, good brand name card. Something like Sandisk, Lexar, Kingston, etc. You want to try something new to make sure your card isn't being corrupted by another device you already have. Once you've gotten your new card, put it in your EOS 6D and format it in the camera. 

If that doesn't resolve your issue, you'll want to reach out to our US-based technical support team by phone or email at http://Canon.us/ContactCF

We hope this helps!

Announcements