cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 70D dead

Sassparella
Apprentice

Hi,

My husband recently bought me a Canon 70d for our silver anniversarya fantasic upgrade from my 1000d. I had it less than a day before it died. I have contacted the place I bought it from and they have agreed to replace it as long as there is no user damage which is fair enough.

My question.

The camera died while connected to the EOS utility software. I got a message saying the camera had been disconnected from the computer and the top LCD screen was frozen. I left it for a while to see if it was doing something - about half an hour to no avail. It wouldn't turn off at all. Eventually I removed the battery to reboot it. When I turned it back on there was nothing. No hint of power at all. I recharged the battery even though it was almost full, tried a different SD card, a different lens, left the battery out overnight, nothing has made a difference. The camera shop have said because it was connected to my computer it was possibly the computer that killed the camera and if this is the case then no replacement.

So has anyone heard of the EOS utility causing any problems and is it possible for my PC to have caused the issue. Also can they actually tell in the shop that my PC did something malicious or is this just a possible get out of giving me a replacement?

I really just want to be informed for when I take it back tomorrow and speak to them.

Many thanks

Traci.

5 REPLIES 5

Jenine
Rising Star

Hi Sassparella!

Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thank you for your inquiry!

We appreciate your participation, however we need to let you know that the Canon Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, please http://www.canon.com, and select your country or region for your support needs.

Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

Hi,

thank you. I was looking more for advice than official Canon Support, I realise it's the US forums, but there isn't an Australian alternative. If I have trouble returning the Camera I'll contact Canon Australia, I just wanted to go to the store with a little knowledge about the situation, so my apologies.

@Sassparella wrote:

Hi,

thank you. I was looking more for advice than official Canon Support, I realise it's the US forums, but there isn't an Australian alternative. If I have trouble returning the Camera I'll contact Canon Australia, I just wanted to go to the store with a little knowledge about the situation, so my apologies.

Don't apologize. Canon's compartmentalization of their support function is fussy and sel-interested, with no benefit to the consumer. You are not obliged to encourage it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

You rock Bob.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
Sorry to hear about your camera issue. A typical USB cable has both power and data pins but the camera only uses the 'data' portion -- it doesn't actually take a charge through this cable and the data would not be able to 'kill' the camera.

The camera does have micro-switches in the battery compartment door and in the memory card door. If the switches are not fully engaged then the camera cannot power on.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements