cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 5d4 peripheral illumination glitch w/ Sig Art 35

ScottyP
Authority

Back in September of 2016 people were discovering a weird issue with the Art 35 on the then new Canon 5d4.  You'd see hard concentric rings around the image. Problem was incompatibility with Canon peripheral illumination correction but disabling that in the menu made the problem go away. 

I just opened my new my new camera up and put my 35 on it and I was getting rings. I disabled PIC. 

Question:  

1.). Other than making the viewfinder look nice, peripheral illumination correction does nothing if you shoot RAW right?

2.). Did Sigma ever patch that?  I'd hate to buy the Sigma dock for that annoyance and find it isn't patched. 

Thanks. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
3 REPLIES 3

@ScottyP wrote:

Back in September of 2016 people were discovering a weird issue with the Art 35 on the then new Canon 5d4.  You'd see hard concentric rings around the image. Problem was incompatibility with Canon peripheral illumination correction but disabling that in the menu made the problem go away. 

I just opened my new my new camera up and put my 35 on it and I was getting rings. I disabled PIC. 

Question:  

1.). Other than making the viewfinder look nice, peripheral illumination correction does nothing if you shoot RAW right?

2.). Did Sigma ever patch that?  I'd hate to buy the Sigma dock for that annoyance and find it isn't patched. 

Thanks. 

I don't know whether it answers your first question. but PI correction can be applied to RAW files in post-processing, using DPP 4. DPP doesn't have access to PI correction data for non-Canon lenses, but it would keep you from having to turn the on-camera correction on or off when you change lenses.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Scotty,

Don't believe this was patched.  

A012

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/download/lenses/firmware/popups/a_35_14/index.html

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

If you have a Sigma Art lens, I a little surprised that you do not also have a Sigma Dock.  It is not exactly cheap, but it costs less than a lens filter. Some firmware updates are good thing.

I have a Sigma 150-600 “C”, and have never really been satisfied with IQ above 500mm.  I have never been satisfied with how fast it focused, or with how loud it was when focusing.  

Then, Sigma released a firmware update, which completely rewrote the focusing firmware.  I installed it, and it was like I had just bought an entirely new lens.  The lens magically focused much faster, much quieter, and was much sharper, even out to 600mm.  How they were able to do that through a firmware update is a mystery to me.

I do not know about your prime, but Sigma software allows me to configure how the lens focuses, using settings that are similar to how Canon DSLRs allow you to balance shutter priority versus focusing priority.  My lens has an AF range switch, and I can actually reprogram the focusing range setting.  I changed mine to push out the Minimum AF Distance, and I doubled the MAFD, which was another change that improved AF performance.

As for Peripheral Illumination, I do not use it.  It seems to only serve a purpose if I am shooting JPEGs, which I rarely do.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements