cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need professional advise for product photography lens for Canon 7D

Amscot56
Contributor

I am a graphic designer with a lot of experience in the studio but I now find myself needing to do my own product shots in my home studio space of 12' x 12.' I am looking hard at the Canon 7D moving up from 40D and I need to know the best lens or lenses to shoot items such as rifles, glassware, china, and small housewares, etc. I will also need to purchase either soft boxes or umbrellas and am looking for advise on this issue as well. Photos will be used for e-commerce and possibly for catalogs. All comments appreciated!

35 REPLIES 35

You don't have to buy Canon lens. I have a Sigma 150mm Macro and it's amazing. I bought it for $400 (the Non-OS version).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

"You don't have to buy Canon lens. I have a Sigma .........................."

This is absolutely true. There are some very nice Sigma lens' available. The Sigma 85mm f1.4 EX is one of them.

And for a crop camera, like the 40 or 7D, Sigma has the 50-150mm f2.8 that is wonderful. Well worth consideration.

I have both.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Photoshop is not an issue since I subscribe to Creative Cloud and have LR and PS CS6 installed."

Since you have the Creative Cloud you already know LR is not PS. You also have InDesign.

EB

I am leaning toward staying with the 40D and investing in lenses. One question to "Skirball": Why did you not recommend an "L" lens in the 100mm macro besides the price? Also will I be better off with a few primes than going with zoom lenses in the L series?

@Amscot56 wrote:

I am leaning toward staying with the 40D and investing in lenses. One question to "Skirball": Why did you not recommend an "L" lens in the 100mm macro besides the price? Also will I be better off with a few primes than going with zoom lenses in the L series?

Only because of price.  I seem to be one of the few people around here that doesn't insist that you need top of the line everything without any reasoning on why. If you're budget is infinite, then sure, but if you have a set amount of money I'd recommend getting 2 lenses instead of spending double on the L, in this case:

The 100L adds image stabilization, which is nice if you're chasing around bugs for macros, but it won't help on product photography.  I get the feeling that you're buying this for company use, not a photographer that will be using it for personal use on weekends?  If you're not using the IS, then the increased IQ of the L isn't worth the cost difference.  The non-L is seriously good.  I'd argue it's one of the best non-L lenses that Canon makes, and it's one of the best deals they sell.  All I'm saying, don't underestimate it because it doesn't have a red ring.

I really don't think you need zooms for product photography.  You simply move your camera/subject to get the perspective you want.  For a lot of product photography it won't even matter.  Primes are cheaper, sharper, and won't hold you back with static subjects.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"My experience is with the use of strobes in the studio. Is that still being used or are fixed lights the way to go?"

I suspect you need to ask yourself if this is just a hobby or is it for real? There are many ways to accomplish your desired results but you must decide to what end are you trying to satisfy.

Again if you want the best, this is the sight you need to look at, http://www.paulcbuff.com/alienbees.php

EB
Announcements