cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need professional advise for product photography lens for Canon 7D

Amscot56
Contributor

I am a graphic designer with a lot of experience in the studio but I now find myself needing to do my own product shots in my home studio space of 12' x 12.' I am looking hard at the Canon 7D moving up from 40D and I need to know the best lens or lenses to shoot items such as rifles, glassware, china, and small housewares, etc. I will also need to purchase either soft boxes or umbrellas and am looking for advise on this issue as well. Photos will be used for e-commerce and possibly for catalogs. All comments appreciated!

35 REPLIES 35

The 160mm comment was a crop camera conversion of the 100mm that was suggested.

@Amscot56 wrote:

The 160mm comment was a crop camera conversion of the 100mm that was suggested.

Yes, I know.

HD Cam Team
Group of photographers and filmmakers using Canon cameras for serious purposes.
www.hdcamteam.com | www.twitter.com/HDCamTeam | www.facebook.com/HDCamTeam

HDCamTeam

There is no denying the versatility of zoom lens'. And than throw the 27-70mm f2.8 II and/or the 70-200mm f2.8 II into the mix, you are not going to give up anything.

I have the 100mm non”L” macro but if I found myself in the same situation, the 27-70mm or 70-200mm would be on the camera. But that again I am using a 5D.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

@HDCamTeam

There is no denying the versatility of zoom lens'. And than throw the 27-70mm f2.8 II and/or the 70-200mm f2.8 II into the mix, you are not going to give up anything.

I have the 100mm non”L” macro but if I found myself in the same situation, the 27-70mm or 70-200mm would be on the camera. But that again I am using a 5D.

Sorry, didn't understand what you mean.

I suggested 24-70 as a "flexible" high quality option instead of multiple prime lenses, for the 40D or 7D. I personally use it on a 5D3, but of course with different field of view.

Regards

HD Cam Team
Group of photographers and filmmakers using Canon cameras for serious purposes.
www.hdcamteam.com | www.twitter.com/HDCamTeam | www.facebook.com/HDCamTeam

"Sorry, didn't understand what you mean."

OK, if it were me I would use the 24-70mm and 70-200mm duo and fore go the 100mm macro.

I would use them on a 5D Mk III and use Photo Shop for post.

Of course good light and lots of it.

"Buy the best and cry once." as the old Chinese proverb goes.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

OK, if it were me I would use the 24-70mm and 70-200mm duo and fore go the 100mm macro.

I would use them on a 5D Mk III and use Photo Shop for post.

Of course good light and lots of it.

"Buy the best and cry once." as the old Chinese proverb goes.

So now you’re advising $5000 worth of lenses and a $3500 camera for a guy who wants to shoot “mostly e-commerce and maybe some catalog”?  I get it, you’re a gear head, obsessed with owning the best, but at least support your suggestions rather than just saying “it’s the best!”  The guy can do everything your setup can do (given the intended use) with $600.  Yup, to the same quality.  With his 40D.

Please tell me what a 70-200 can do that a 100mm can’t, for product photography.  The flexibility of zoom buys very little in product photography, especially at the longer focal lengths.  Sure, it’s nice, but is it really an extra $2000 nice? 

And lots of light?  I thought you were telling me flash is a dead art with these new modern high-ISO sensors?

Okay, I have been rolling through the entire EF Lens lineup and price checking with Amazon. So far here are some picks:

(A) EF 100mm (160mm) f/2.8 Macro USM $515 at Amazon.

(B) EF 100mm (160mm) f/2.8L Macro II USM $1049.

(C) TS-E 45mm (72mm) f/2.8 $1269.

I am leaning into B and C but I am not sure, maybe the TS-E would be a good investment but I can't use it for anything else. I was thinking I could use B also for portrature.

I also wonder if the "adjustable depth-of-field" or shift on lens (C) might be perfect for product photos. There aren't many references to product photography in the reviews. I'm sure some are not professional shooters.

My experience is with the use of strobes in the studio. Is that still being used or are fixed lights the way to go?

@Amscot56 wrote:

I also wonder if the "adjustable depth-of-field" or shift on lens (C) might be perfect for product photos. There aren't many references to product photography in the reviews. I'm sure some are not professional shooters.

My experience is with the use of strobes in the studio. Is that still being used or are fixed lights the way to go?

Here's a couple of websites on how it works.  I really like the Cambridge website, but it might be a little much for some.  I think understanding how it works helps to understand what a T/S can and can't do.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/ts-e90_tilt-shift.html

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/tilt-shift-lenses2.htm

Strobes are just fine.  Plenty enough to shoot  through diffusers at ISO100 and f/16.  You can upgrade to studio lights if and when you get sick of recharging batteries

@Amscot56 wrote:

Okay, I have been rolling through the entire EF Lens lineup and price checking with Amazon. So far here are some picks:

(A) EF 100mm (160mm) f/2.8 Macro USM $515 at Amazon.

(B) EF 100mm (160mm) f/2.8L Macro II USM $1049.

(C) TS-E 45mm (72mm) f/2.8 $1269.

I am leaning into B and C but I am not sure, maybe the TS-E would be a good investment but I can't use it for anything else. I was thinking I could use B also for portrature.

Tough Choices.  I can't speak on the L from experience, especially with concerns to Bokeh.  I will say that I don't love the bokeh out of my non-L.  It's fine, but not portrait fine.  Also, I find the lens to be a little too sharp for portraits unless my subject has fantastic complextion.  It really picks up everything.

You're right, Tilt Shift has two main uses.  Product, and architectural.  There are creative uses to, but it is a specialized lens that isn't as universal.  I would highly recommend renting one if you can, prior to purchase.   Besides, I also recommend not buying them all at once.  Get the macro and use it for a couple weeks and see where it's lacking for you.

Back to the macro, just found this at Canon store.  100L refurbished for $713.  That would settle the debate between L and non-L for me.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_269451_-1

Announcements