cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need new equipment advice!

mstu33
Contributor

Hi all, 

I work at an international boarding school and we're looking into upgrading our photography equipment. Right now I am shooting on a personal Canon Rebel T3i with a 50mm 1.8 prime lens, the 18-35mm kit lens, and a Sigma 70-300mm cheaper lens. 

We're wanting to upgrade our equipment to be able to shoot stock photos for marketing, as well as low-light theater performances. I've previously rented some cameras, but we're ready to do a full-blown upgrade. Right now, I've just been tasked to get prices and decide what equipment is best. I have most recently rented the Canon Mark IV, the 24-70, and the 70-200, with a Canon Speedlite 430EX. Is this a good set? Do you have any additions/changes you would suggest?

Thanks! 

4 REPLIES 4

diverhank
Authority

What you have listed is a great set.  I'd get a 600EX-RT II flash instead of the 430EX as it has 1.4 times more light output and in my experience - having used both- has more precise ETTL performance.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@mstu33 wrote:

Hi all, 

I work at an international boarding school and we're looking into upgrading our photography equipment. Right now I am shooting on a personal Canon Rebel T3i with a 50mm 1.8 prime lens, the 18-35mm kit lens, and a Sigma 70-300mm cheaper lens. 

We're wanting to upgrade our equipment to be able to shoot stock photos for marketing, as well as low-light theater performances. I've previously rented some cameras, but we're ready to do a full-blown upgrade. Right now, I've just been tasked to get prices and decide what equipment is best. I have most recently rented the Canon Mark IV, the 24-70, and the 70-200, with a Canon Speedlite 430EX. Is this a good set? Do you have any additions/changes you would suggest?

Thanks! 

That's a huge upgrade from what you have, and really over kill for your needs.

The EOS 6D would be more than adequate for stock photos for marketing and low-light theater performances. 

@TTMartin wrote:

@mstu33 wrote:

Hi all, 

Thanks! 

The EOS 6D would be more than adequate for stock photos for marketing and low-light theater performances. 

I sort of agree with Tom's premise, but I'm not sure I agree with his advice. Can you get by with a 6D? Yes. Will you come to wish that the school had bought a 5D4 instead? Probably.

If you're in charge of the school's finances, you may elect to go with a 6D. But if you're the school photographer, ask for the 5D4, because it's a better camera at an earlier point in its production run and may well prove more cost effective in the end. The worst that can happen is that you may get overruled and have to settle for a lesser camera. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@mstu33 wrote:

Hi all, 

Thanks! 

I sort of agree with Tom's premise, but I'm not sure I agree with his advice. Can you get by with a 6D? Yes. Will you come to wish that the school had bought a 5D4 instead? Probably.

If you're in charge of the school's finances, you may elect to go with a 6D. But if you're the school photographer, ask for the 5D4, because it's a better camera at an earlier point in its production run and may well prove more cost effective in the end. The worst that can happen is that you may get overruled and have to settle for a lesser camera. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Earlier in its production run also means premium pricing.

Given that you can purchase both a 6D (stock photos for marketing and low-light theater performances) and a 7D Mk II (sports) and still have a good chunk of change ($500) left over for what you'd pay for the 5D Mk IV, I stand by what I said.

Announcements