cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Narrowed down to 7D Mark II or 80D...does any feature tip the scale that will help me decide?

darnol1
Contributor

I had owned the Nikon D200 many years ago, which I sold.  I am looking to get back into photography, which will mainly be general purpose (vacations, kids' sports, family get-togethers).  Where my selection needs to shine is low light/focusing/fps capability since the sports my kids play are indoors allot (swim meets and indoor soccer).  I will mate the camera up with high quality lenses (2.8 or better).

Video is not important to me.

I narrowed it down to the 7D Mk II and 80D.  I am assuming I'd be happy with either, but given my needs especially with sports, does anyone feel there is a feature/specification on one of these 2 cameras that will tip the scales to favor one more than the other?  I would prefer to stay under $1,500 for the body.

Any input would be much appreciated.

16 REPLIES 16

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I greatly prefer the 7D Mk II as it is a more professional build.  But in your case I think I would go for the 80D with the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  The lens in this case it more important than the camera.  So, even if you decide on the 7D Mk II, my choice, make sure you get it with the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.

Now don't give much weight or attention (that will folow this post) to the one camera is better at this or that when in the end it is the build that is the big difference.  Either camera is very capable and will be a winner.  It is the lens that matters.

The 80D with the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens on it will rival many FF cameras.  Another winner of a lens is for the 80D is the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon.   It is the lens that matters.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Do both cameras have the same weather-sealing? Descriptions both state "weather-sealed" but a video I watched indicated the 7D Mark II has a more robust seal than the 80D. It's something for me to factor in a little if I'm around pools...more peace of mind...and I'll always have a weather sealed lens on it.

I would think the 7D2 would be the best for your requirements,

10 fps vs 7.

65 focus points vs 45.

shutter life 200,000 vs 100,000.

2 card slots vs 1.

More flexible AF options.

More professional build quality.

Reputedly better weather sealing.

"Do both cameras have the same weather-sealing?"

No, not even close. That is what I meant by better build.  The 7D Mk II is a pro level camera.  The 80D is a prosummer model.

" It's something for me to factor in a little if I'm around pools...more peace of mind...and I'll always have a weather sealed lens on it."

What do you mean?  Neither camera, not even my 1Dx can be submerged in water.  Weather proof means it can get splashed on.  And not never any salt water.

Besides, most if not all ef-s lenses are not weather sealed.  So that blows that thought.  Not even all ef lenses are weather sealed.   Not all L lenses are either.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

And not never any salt water.

And many pools now are salt water. In fact, I would extend that to heavily chlorinated water, too.

"I would extend that to heavily chlorinated water, too."

Yes, sir.  Water and cameras generally do not mix well.

EB

@kvbarkley wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

And not never any salt water.

And many pools now are salt water. In fact, I would extend that to heavily chlorinated water, too.

What's the chemical reason for that? Dissolved chlorine isn't all that reactive, is it? (Chloride ions are another matter, of course.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Chlorinated water is just as conductive as salt water.

If you are going to be spending time in and around aquatic venues, go for the 7D Mark II.  If you will be around indoor chlorinated pools, and all of that humidity, then you will also likely be around an outdoor venue, like a beach.

You do not need to get the camera “wet” for it to be damaged.  Just being in the hostile environment is sufficient for many camera bodies.  The same is true for lenses.  Invest in sealed lenses.  Many of Canon’s professional grade “L” series are weather sealed, some need a protective filter on the front element to complete their weather sealing.  I use a clear protective filter on all of my lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements