Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My computer will not recognize our Canon EOS 5Dsr

Ferdinand123
Apprentice

Hi

I am using Windows 10 Alientware

My computer is not recognizing my Canon with the EOS Utility. I must copy the files with Windows Explorer.

In Lightroom - Tethered Capture the computer did see the Canon for a number of shots but I have to disconnect and reconnect the cable from time to time. After that Lightroom is not seeing the Canon. Even after restarting.

Please assist.

4 REPLIES 4

@Ferdinand123wrote:

Hi

I am using Windows 10 Alientware

My computer is not recognizing my Canon with the EOS Utility. I must copy the files with Windows Explorer.

In Lightroom - Tethered Capture the computer did see the Canon for a number of shots but I have to disconnect and reconnect the cable from time to time. After that Lightroom is not seeing the Canon. Even after restarting.

Please assist.

I use Windows 10, and my computer has no trouble seeing any of my cameras. But I don't use Alientware either; in fact, I have no idea what it is or does. The closest Google could come was "Alienware", which appears to be some sort of video game interface. Anyway, I'd look there first for the problem. Can you uninstall it or temporarily disable it, to see whether that fixes things?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"In Lightroom - Tethered Capture the computer did see the Canon ..."

What version of LR do you have?  You need to be using LR CC.

My WIn 10 sees the camera with no problem.  I agree with Bob look elsewhere for that issue.  I also have no idea what "Alienware" is.  it just might be the problem if Canon has not provided support for whatever it is.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

There are no drivers needed... the sorts of "usual suspects" are:

1)  Is it a good USB cable?  Make sure this isn't a "USB charging cable" where only the power pins are wired and not the data pins (e.g. if you grabbed a cable came with a phone charger, etc.) 

2)  Connect the USB cable directly from the camera to the computer ... make sure there is no USB hub in the mix (those are often unrelible and I find devices that don't show up when using a hub but do show up when direct attached).

3)  Make sure there is no other software running on the computer that can work with a camera OTHER than the program you want to use.  Sometimes another application can claim a device ... making it unavailable to any other application.  

4)  Make sure the USB port on the side of the camera, computer, and also the cable are not damaged.

Even after all of that... I've still seen computers just do wierd stuff and I try a different computer and it's fine.  If there's another computer you can try, it would help isolate the issue to the machine vs. the camera, etc.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

This is exactly the sort of thing that says you should not screw around with trying to cable your camera into and through the computer, and instead just simply pop the memory card out and plug the card into a memory card reader.  All this unnecessary complexity and heartburn getting the computer OS and particular firmware and all the inscrutable incompatible default settings to play together with all their equivalents in the camera, plus questions about the cable, etc.  Bah. Pop the card into the reader. Open a window for the card reader. Select all files on card. Drag and drop to a file in the computer. Done and dusted. Zero frustrating invisible mystery problems. Also the camera battery isn't depleted, and the transfer rate is usually faster. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements