cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My canon 70D is not turning on.

Alamin569
Contributor
Dear All,
Greetings. My name is Al Amin and I am from Bangladesh. I am an amateur Photographer. I am using canon 70D with 50 mm lens. Today I was capturing photos with live view mode.Suddenly it hanged and showed the Error message on the dash board. After that I switch it off and on it but nothing happened. After that I took out the battery and re installed it again. From then it is not turning on.What is the reason behind it. Please help me on it.
Thanks in advance.
Yours Sincerely
Al Amin
3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Alamin569 wrote:
Dear All,
Greetings. My name is Al Amin and I am from Bangladesh. I am an amateur Photographer. I am using canon 70D with 50 mm lens. Today I was capturing photos with live view mode.Suddenly it hanged and showed the Error message on the dash board. After that I switch it off and on it but nothing happened. After that I took out the battery and re installed it again. From then it is not turning on.What is the reason behind it. Please help me on it.
Thanks in advance.
Yours Sincerely
Al Amin

Either something has failed internally, the memory card has failed, or either the battery door or memory card [door] is [not] fully closed.  If the doors are [not] closed, and the camera does not power up with no lens attached, then your camera most likely needs service.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm having the same problems....Did your problem solve?

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You'll want to perform a few diagnostic tests.

1)  Remove any non-Canon accessories from the camera.  If you are using a 3rd party battery grip (just one example) then please remove it.  Also the camera does not actually need a lens in order to power on (it needs a lens to take a focused photograph, but it will power on even if no lens is attached.)  So you may also want to remove your lens (and put the dust cap on the front of the camera body.)

2)  The camera has a tiny swtich on the battery compartment door as well as on the memory card door.  Make sure the battery is charged, and fully inserted, and the door must be completely closed.  Also make sure the memory card door is closed.

3)  The camera does not actually need a memory card to power on.  It needs a memory card to record images as you take them.  But sometimes the card itself is the problem (and a bad card can prevent the camera from powering on).  Remove your card, close the door to the memory card slot, and power up the camera.  Does the camera power-on with no memory card inserted?  If so, you've got a bad card.

4)  The power switch is really a software-switch.  It doesn't really cut the power to the camera.  It sends a signal to the camera that tells it to power-off and being "powered off" is really a kind of extended sleep.  When you use the power-swtich to turn the camera "on" what you are really doing is telling the camera to come out of that extended sleep mode.  The camera does not actually boot up.    The camera REALLY boots up when you insert a battery.    I suggest you make the changes above (remove all 3rd party accessories, remove the lens (and attach the dust cap), remove the memory card (and close the door), then as a last step... remove the battery... wait several seconds... then re-insert the battery, close the door, and attempt to power-up the camera body.

Let us know if any of that helped resolve the issue.  

If no... then the camera probably needs attention from a qualified Canon service center.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements