cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My camera Canon 5D Classic or Mark I doesn't turn on. :(

alcesamuelpaul
Contributor

Hello I am Samuel leaving in Haiti. I am a newbie but a really close to a pro because i am giving my all to photography.

unfortunately my camera "Canon 5D Classic or mark I" stop working this morning. can't keep my tears guys cause it cost me a lot of money and i just have it for 5 months. (of course it was not new). 

Only the LCD screen on the top works but the light doesnt turn on.

Could someone help me to understand the issue? help me know if its something that i can fix?

Help any advice is welcome because i still can't keep my tears.

PS: I am doing photo just for fun, not for money. 

action taken:  wanna also let you know that I removed the batt for the night, the memory card, removed the lens, i do anything related to a simple troubleshoot. 

PS: it doesnt have the small memory batt at all. 

22 REPLIES 22

No harm putting one back in. It's only a dollar or two. It stores the date/time and camera settings. If you have the BP511 out for sometime, the capacitor inside may have exhausted and the camera cannot get back to normal.

BTW, why you remove the button battery ?

@alcesamuelpaul wrote:

It used to work... the Camera is working without the battery since december.  

Good Question! when I brought the Camera the battery was not good. I buy a new batt. But the batt keep frozen the camera. but when i remove the batt the camera works properlly. 🙂

anyway i am gonna try to put the one have in it once again.

If you are talking about the button battery causing a problem check that you are installing it correctly. Check the + orientation. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hello GUYS!!!

You will never understand how happy i am because the camera start working again. 

It seems that it was really an issue related the flat back up batt. You where really helpful to me guys. Many thanks to all of you who have shared ideas about my Camera issue. 

Thanks once again.

Hi

My 5D classic has exactly the same problem. But i tried doing a hard reset, removed both batteries, left it on all night and still the same. Replaced also the backup battery, the problem persists.

Any more sugestions?

This happened all of a sudden. I took a lot a photos, arrived at home removed the photos from card then put it back. On the next day i changed lens, turned it on and nothing. I thought it was the battery, so i charged it and then put it on the camera and then only the top lcd screen works and the buttons next to it. The LCD on the back doesn't turn on, nor the buttons on the back, it doesn't shoot. And the aperture doesn't appear on the top lcd screen, only the speed, even on M mode. When i turn on the camera, the red light light near the back wheel doesn't turn on like it was usual...

Could it be a loose cable or has the board fried?

@Azathoth wrote:

This happened all of a sudden. I took a lot a photos, arrived at home removed the photos from card then put it back. On the next day i changed lens, turned it on and nothing. I thought it was the battery, so i charged it and then put it on the camera and then only the top lcd screen works and the buttons next to it. The LCD on the back doesn't turn on, nor the buttons on the back, it doesn't shoot. And the aperture doesn't appear on the top lcd screen, only the speed, even on M mode. When i turn on the camera, the red light light near the back wheel doesn't turn on like it was usual...

Could it be a loose cable or has the board fried?

You say that you charged the battery, but not that you changed it. If the battery is original from when you bought the camera, maybe it's now having trouble acquiring or holding a charge. I'd change it out and see.

Another possibility that's not ruled out by the facts is that the battery charger is defective.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Check the micro switches at the battery door and CF card door. If either of them gets stuck, the camera won't start.

If you don't understand, go to Youtube and check out the tutorials.

Yeah i checked the microswitches but the problems still persists.

What i have not tried yet is with a different battery. Not very easy to find someone with that battery model... 

@Azathoth wrote:

Yeah i checked the microswitches but the problems still persists.

What i have not tried yet is with a different battery. Not very easy to find someone with that battery model... 

I don't believe I've ever encountered a 5D user (any model) who didn't own a spare battery.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements