cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Canon 70D start showing White Screen with Vertical black lines after 4 months without using?!

milanguy
Apprentice

I have a canon 70D and i left it for 4 months without using...now when i tried to turn it on...the screen showing white screen with vertical black lines...it is not an LCD defect, because all the functions and menu can be accessed clearily...also the screen give a warning Exp.SIM ...it might be trivial things to you guys but i am new with this field.

looking for help please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Looks like it needs to go to Canon service center. Something is wrong insdie camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Since it sat for four months have you charged battery fully?

Are you talking about LiveView screen or menu screen?

Does it take photos OK?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You should contact Canon Support.  There is actually very little you can do to diagnose or remedy this situation.  Your camera needs to checked by a professional.  I strongly advise letting Canon make any repair.

If you eventually wind up sending it to Canon for repair, your camera will seem brand new when you get it back.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@milanguy wrote:

I have a canon 70D and i left it for 4 months without using...now when i tried to turn it on...the screen showing white screen with vertical black lines...it is not an LCD defect, because all the functions and menu can be accessed clearily...also the screen give a warning Exp.SIM ...it might be trivial things to you guys but i am new with this field.

looking for help please.

How many black lines, and where do they appear on the screen?

"Exp Sim" is short for "Exposure Simulation". It means that the camera is set to try to show you what the picture will actually look like, rather than adjusting the screen's brightness to compensate for the effects of ambient light. Since the screen is white, it could be telling you that the current settings will result in a picture that's grossly overexposed. I frankly suspect that the problem is deeper than that, but it's at least worth doing a sanity check on the exposure settings (ISO, aperture, shutter speed).

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

What kind of conditions was it stored in for the four months.?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

milanguy
Apprentice
It is really annoying...first the camera stopped responding even to shutdown button..and now it is not even powering on..it is dead!!!
How come this happen?! The only thing I did that I left it without use for four months...seems the camera like my diesel car...I should drive it regularly...any idea guys?!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
If the battery is fully charged my guess would be it was stored in humid conditions and corrosion set in.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
If the battery is fully charged my guess would be it was stored in humid conditions and corrosion set in.

I'd accept that explanation only if the camera got very wet before it was stored. Otherwise I'd look for a battery problem. Have you tried more than one batery?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

milanguy
Apprentice
First of all guys...I should thank you all for your replies...this is one of the most active communites...

@jrhoffman75
Do you think there is anything I can do ?!

I think we still need more information.

1. Is the battery fully charged?

2. Do you have a second battery you can ry?

3. Does it take photogrpahs OK is you set the camera to green square Auto?

4. Did you try reformatting the card?

5. You're sure it was working OK before you left it for four months?

6. You're sure no one else might have mis-handled camera while it was stored, unknown to you?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements