cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 7D and 70 D take under exposed photos in Program mode...why

StolenM
Apprentice

Both of my cameras, 7D & 70 D take underexposed photos in "P" Program mode.  This wasn't always this way. The meter on the camera is changing and adjusting to the different exposures is sees, but the images come out dark, so dark you cant make out what the photo is.   Did I accidently change some thing?  How do I fix this.  Someone else has to have experienced this...right....Its happened on both my cameras.  Please help.

4 REPLIES 4

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@StolenM wrote:

Both of my cameras, 7D & 70 D take underexposed photos in "P" Program mode.  This wasn't always this way. The meter on the camera is changing and adjusting to the different exposures is sees, but the images come out dark, so dark you cant make out what the photo is.   Did I accidently change some thing?  How do I fix this.  Someone else has to have experienced this...right....Its happened on both my cameras.  Please help.

Sounds like you may have dialed in some negative exposure compensation.

Or,if it is happening on both cameras you may have switched from using Evaluative Metering to another metering mode.

Spot metering is a regular culprit for exposure issues. In my opinion the only time spot metering should be used is to set the exposure in full manual mode including fixed ISO. Any of the automatic modes P, Tv, Av, or M with auto-ISO spot metering should be avoided.

I find Canon's evaluative metering works very well for those automatic modes, and simply dial in some exposure compensation if needed.

The quick fix is to 'Clear camera settings' and 'Clear Custom Functions' (two different places in the menus). That will eliminate what ever setting you changed that started causing the problems.

amfoto1
Authority

The fact that it's happened in the same way with both your cameras at about the same time suggests to me that it's something other than the cameras...

For example, it could be your computer monitor. Most computer monitors are way too bright for photo editing and optimization. The result is images that are adjusted too dark for printing or appear too dark once displayed in other ways Have you recently changed computer or even just the monitor?

Do you calibrate your computer monitor? The first step of calibration is establishing screen brightness. The monitor I use needed to be turned down to 21% brightness when it was new! Things change over time, too...  I recalibrate the monitor I use for photo optimization every month or two. After using the monitor for 4 or 5 years, it's now at about 50% brightness.

All that aside... When using any of the AE modes of my Canon... I almost always have at least +1/3 or +2/3 Exposure Compensation dailed in ("Expose to the Right or ETTR is a common technique among Canon shooters... more info about this, see: https://luminous-landscape.com/optimizing-exposure/.)

Another thing you might check is the metering mode of your cameras. There can be significant differences between the results from Evaluative, Center Weighted, Partial and Spot metering. Maybe you changed mode and for got to change it back to what you usually use.

Finally, yes it is possible for cameras to get out of calibration and require occasional adjustments. With vintage cameras and meters, we used to check them and make adjustments every year or two at least. Today's electronically controlled cameras are much more accurate and less prone to get out adjuct. Still, it's possible. But it would be very surprising for two cameras to lose calibration roughly the same way and at the same time.  

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... it could be your computer monitor. Most computer monitors are way too bright for photo editing and optimization. The result is images that are adjusted too dark for printing or appear too dark once displayed ..."

Amen to that!  I have probly set up a 100+ monitos/printer combos.  The number one cause of why the print is coming out wrong is a improperly set up monitor.  It is also causing some folks to think there is something wrong with their cameras. When there is not.

A misconception to this, however, is you do not need fancy gizmos to set it right, or calibrate it.  If you are on a Windoze machine everything comes with the OS to do this.  It is also included on most Mac's.

You need to get brightness/contrast set right.  And you need the grey-scale very close to perfect if possibile.  That is it.  You also need to do this again as your monitor ages.

One exception is, if you are trying to get a certain specific color to match.  That can be very tricky and may require the fancy gizmos.

A word about spot metering.  When you are shooting into a light or against a light or dark background, the results can be under or overexposed photos.  This is where spot metering is great. The camera’s spot meter takes one reading from a tiny area of the 'wanted' subject.  It is ALWYAS best to meter on a mid-tone.  Spor ot matrix metering, it doesn't matter, always look for the mid-tones.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Can you post an example shot -- being sure to include the EXIF data (don't allow any software to strip the EXIF data)?  

This would allow us to check camera settings (those will be reported in the EXIF data) and also check your histogram to tell if the shot really is underexposed.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements