cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing mode dial cap on a 70D

MartinR
Apprentice

Does anyone know how to replace a missing mode dial cap on a 70D please - without having to replace the whole top plate (at great expense)?

Have others had this problem?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

ScottyP
Authority
Do you have the cap or is it lost? Mine fell off my 6d last week and per internet advice I am going to carefully glue it back on.. A flexible glue is needed so it can expand and shrink with temperature, I was told. The thing had been held in place with just 2 micro dots of a contact-cement glue. I think a few more dots would have been better.

I have read in my own research on it that they really get you for service if you are out of warranty. They (Canon) don't sell just the cap either, according to some people on another forum. Don't take their word for it though; check with Canon. One person said they found a cheap Chinese copy of the knob and pried the cap off and glued it onto their camera and it worked fine.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

A Google search just brought up half a dozen places selling the cap for a 6d and some for a 5d3 but none at all I could find on the iPad for 70d. Maybe with an actual keyboard and a full sized monitor and a more lengthy search you could find one.

Some claimed to be OEM parts but who knows, and for something like a cap who cares I guess. Apparently this happens a lot, if you search around and see what other people have had to go through.

You should probably call Canon and ask them if they would have it and be willing to mail you one. The ones I saw for 6d and 5d3 were between $15 and $30.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements