Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

MICRO SD vs 5D MK3???

Hi guys...

i've just bought a  64gb micro sd card with an adapter, but my 5d mklll won't even turn on when i insert the card on it...

is this a common problem??

thanks all....

Reputable Contributor

Re: MICRO SD vs 5D MK3???

You are supposed to use the regular SD cards.  Actually for the 5D Mark III, you should use the CF card as the transfer rate is a lot higher for the CF card slot than the SD slot.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Honored Contributor

@morchriscostawrote:

Hi guys...

i've just bought a  64gb micro sd card with an adapter, but my 5d mklll won't even turn on when i insert the card on it...

is this a common problem??

thanks all....

Yes.  It is not unusual for the adapter to be an impediment.  The micro-SD cards should only be used in devices that use them directly, without the adapter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Highlighted
Reputable Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have used Samsung MicroSD without any issue. But as already written, with 5DIII the SD card will give you a write speed of 21MB/s. If you overclock the memory bus you could get around 50MB/s, but your card may break.
With CF I have seen around 120MB/s with Komputerbay x1066.

If I were you I would install SD Formatter,use a card reader and format the card with SD Formatter first.

---------------------------------------------------------
My Swedish blog

M5, 7D, 6D, D30, 1000D IR, EOS DCS 3c, EOS D2000, 16-35/4L IS, 100/2,8 Macro, 70-200/2,8L IS II, 24-105/4L, 85/1,8, 50/1,4, 24/1,4L II, 300/2,8L IS, Helios 58/2

Darktable, RawTherapee, Photomatix, Luminance HDR, GIMP 2.9.5.