cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M-Jpeg Video Player?

LanceA
Enthusiast

I have Canon 1DX MKII and want to do most of my video recording in 4K, 60 fps.  However, the cameras' Codec for this filmimng is limited to Motion-JPEG.  I am having a VERY difficult time finding a simple Video Player that I can download for playing back M-Jpeg's.  I have found and purchased the "Movavi" system which allows me to translate my Canon's M-Jpeg videos to MP4 format for viewing and editing.  Each transfer takes a long, long time.  Can anyone please let me know of any good M-Jpeg Video player software that I can play my Canon 1DX MKII 4K/60fps videos directly?

Thanks,

Lance A.

4 REPLIES 4

Ray-uk
Whiz

Have you tried the freeware vlc player ?

It might work but I know there are a lot of different m-jpg formats out there apparantly because nobody seems to have yet designed a standard file format.

Yes,

I have had and used VLC for years, but VLC ,to date, has no Codec to match the m-jpeg used by my 1DX MKII.  I thought that it was going to be a no brainer finding and incorporating a simple video player to play the 4K/60fps m-jpeg videos into all four of my very high resolution capable computers, I was WRONG.

I must simply be missing something quite simple here because I cannot imagine that everyone who ownes and films 4K/60fps with their Canon 1DX MKII camera cannot play back without translating to mp4 (or something else).

Lance A. 

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Have you installed the Canon Utility Disk software that comes with the camera? It appears that it includes EOS Movie Utility to play the video files from the 1D X Mark II

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/dslr/eos-1d-x-mark-ii?subt...

EOS MOVIE Utility 1.7 for Windows

EOS MOVIE Utility is software for viewing movies shot on EOS 6D Mark II, EOS 5D Mark IV, EOS-1D X Mark II, EOS 5DS, EOS 5DS R, EOS 7D Mark II, EOS-1D C, EOS-1D X, EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 6D, or EOS 70D cameras and for saving a still image clip from such movies. You can also use View Assist for viewing movies shot in Canon Log gamma. In addition, you can merge multiple 4 GB movie files shot on EOS 5D Mark IV, EOS-1D X Mark II, EOS 5DS, EOS 5DS R, EOS 7D Mark II, EOS-1D C into a single file, and save it.

The EOS Movie utility plays a 4k video very choppy on full screen. It's usable if you watch in a tiny window, but otherwise it's useless.On Windows 10 the Movies&TV app can play it very smoothly, but the gamma is completely screwed up - it's very dark. Windows Media Player can play with a normal gamma, but sometimes it's just not smooth, with hiccups. This is very frustrating there is no way to play a high quality mjpeg without converting it to something else in Premiere.

Announcements