cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to upgrade.

Photoluvr
Contributor
Currently own a t3i and looking to upgrade. I love to photograph nature, landscapes, birds. Considering the t6s or the tried and true EOS 7d. Helpful comments would be appreciated . Thank you!
22 REPLIES 22

ScottyP
Authority
At this point I would say T6s and save a few bucks for lenses. Unless you truly need the weatherproofing AND your lenses are weatherproof.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:
At this point I would say T6s and save a few bucks for lenses. Unless you truly need the weatherproofing AND your lenses are weatherproof.

The T6s and the 7D use the same lenses.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

True, but I think his point was about weatherproofing lenses matching the 7D's weatherproof body.

Thank you ScottyP for that insight. I am impressed with the weatherproof body but unless you have the accompanying weatherproof lenses, it makes no difference. After watching many videos and reading many reviews, I am leaning toward the 6Ts. It has newer processor and the specs are impressive. Plus, it fits my budget. Thanks again!

@Photoluvr wrote:
Thank you ScottyP for that insight. I am impressed with the weatherproof body but unless you have the accompanying weatherproof lenses, it makes no difference. After watching many videos and reading many reviews, I am leaning toward the 6Ts. It has newer processor and the specs are impressive. Plus, it fits my budget. Thanks again!

You haven't mentioned why you want to upgrade.  What is your T3i not doing for you?

People on here love to give advice on what new camera you should buy without even knowing why you want one.  And a couple give the exact same response regardless of what someone needs.  If it's just "to take better photos", then a new camera is probably the smallest ROI out of any new purchase.  New lenses, new software, a class or two - all will usually have a greater impact on your photography than a new camera.

If you have specific issues - low light performance, AF in video, weatherproofing not sufficient for your uses, etc.  Then perhaps a new camera is the right choice.

Most people want to upgrade just to upgrade.  And that's fine, but recognize it for what it is.  If that's the case, then it really just matters what your budget is.  Another (very important) requirement that you haven't told us.

My budget is $700-1000. The 7d is on sale now. My t3i shoots only 3.7 fps...too slow. Plus the buffering time lag is ridiculous. Just not real happy with it anymore. Thank you for your honest feedback.

@Photoluvr wrote:
My budget is $700-1000. The 7d is on sale now. My t3i shoots only 3.7 fps...too slow. Plus the buffering time lag is ridiculous. Just not real happy with it anymore. Thank you for your honest feedback.

I have two 7D's and have been very happy with them. Last year I bought a 5D Mk III and have found it to be significantly better in both autofocus and low-light performance. But it's way over your budget, and the 7D isn't.

Despite what some have been telling you, the 7D is not a weatherproof camera. But if you give it reasonable protection and don't expose it to a driving rain, you'll be fine.

An important feature that pro and semi-pro cameras (including the 7D) have that the T6s doesn't is autofocus microadjustment. If you use only "L" lenses, you probably won't need it; but you probably won't, so you may.

We pretty much know everything there is to know about the 7D, but the T6s is new and untried. Some new Canon models have been fine from Day 1, but others have had significant startup problems. The effect of that on your decision depends on how risk-averse you are.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston,

"Despite what some have been telling you, the 7D is not a weatherproof camera"

Ah, my friend, it at least has an attempt to weather seal it.  Certainly not to the level on my 1D Mk IV but it does have some.  And like I said, some is better thasn none.  None of them are totally weather-proofed.

Still not trying to sway either way. He really does need to decide which meets his goals most.  I made good use of Rebels for years, so I can appreciate a person's affection for them.  Given the choice today, it would be the 7D or 7D Mk II.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Question...the lack of poor performance for the 7d in dark situations, a true concern or not? Btw...I am female. 😃
Announcements