cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to upgrade.

Photoluvr
Contributor
Currently own a t3i and looking to upgrade. I love to photograph nature, landscapes, birds. Considering the t6s or the tried and true EOS 7d. Helpful comments would be appreciated . Thank you!
22 REPLIES 22

The 7D has essentially the SAME sensor as our T3i.  The resolution and ISO performance will be the same.  The focus system on the 7D is noitceably better... as is speed (the 7D is optimized for action photography).  But sensor performance really wont be different than what you have today.

Cameras with improved sensors would include the 7D II, 70D, and the new T6i & T6s (for the T6i & T6s I haven't personally seen how it performs at high ISO... all the sample images I have found are shot around ISO 100 or 200).

Full frame cameras (6D, 5D III, & 1D X) will have a very noticeable jump in ISO performance (low noise).  But these are in a different price category.   The most affordable is the 6D.  That's Canon's "entry" level full-frame body (though for full frame "entry level" is actually fairly high end.  Previously it wasn't really possible to buy a new full-frame body for less than $2k for the body-only.)  BTW, I omitted the 5Ds and 5DsR from the list because those are not high ISO sensor cameras.

When in doubt... rent the camera body for a weekend before you buy (although the T6i & s aren't shipping yet, so you can't rent one... it's "pre-orders" at this point.)  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

" But sensor performance really wont be different than what you have today."

The fact two different bodies have the sane sensor and there won't be a difference is wrong.  Cameras have other factors that determine the sensor output.  The IQ is dependent on the entire camera sysyem not merely the sensor.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" But sensor performance really wont be different than what you have today."

The fact two different bodies have the sane sensor and there won't be a difference is wrong.  Cameras have other factors that determine the sensor output.  The IQ is dependent on the entire camera sysyem not merely the sensor.

Yet the sensor is the dominant influence.  The difference from camera to camera is relatively small, mostly to pixel peeping level.  Which, as you've said many times, you don't pay attention to.

@Photoluvr wrote:
Question...the lack of poor performance for the 7d in dark situations, a true concern or not? Btw...I am female. 😃

I try to notice that when I can. After all, my wife and daughter are photographers too.  Smiley Wink

No, the 7D doesn't perform poorly in dark situations. Some cameras are better, but in general they cost a lot more. If it's really a concern, you could consider a 7D Mark 2 instead. But at what I take to be your current level, I think you'd be happy with the 7D.

As for the T6s: I'd probably buy one for my wife tomorrow. (She has back problems and won't carry anything heavier than a Rebel.) But I'm put off by its lack of AFMA.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you. Since I currently own a t3i I think I will go with the 7d. The price makes it too hard to pass up.

Good choice and move up.  Smiley Happy

EB

@Photoluvr wrote:
Thank you. Since I currently own a t3i I think I will go with the 7d. The price makes it too hard to pass up.

It's a fine camera, and this is a good time to buy one. The only downside is that it will suck you even deeper into this very expensive pastime.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

See if you can find a link to the Canon Loyalty Program.  They sell refurbished cameras and if you send in an old Canon camera you get an additional discount.  I think the 7D is under $1000 now but that is body only.  However, any lenses you have for your present camera will fit the 7D.  You can call 866-443-8002, Option 2, and they can tell you what is available and the present cost.  I have purchased 2 cameras through this program, a 7D and a 5DIII, and they both were like new.  They have other bodies available so you might find the deal you want through them though you probably won't see a T6 in this program for a while since it is such a new body.

Joe

I know you will love it.  How could you not?  Please report back.

However.................

"... unless you have the accompanying weatherproof lenses, it makes no difference."

this is false.  Some weather proofing is better than no weather proofing.  You have to get in to the 1 series line to get complete weather sealing.  At least to the level that is offered by Canon.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Normally folks asking the same question, I would always recommend going to the 7D or now the 7D Mk II.  Why get another Rebel if you are ready to move up.  The 7D series is a 'pro' level camera.  The Rebels are not.  Big difference.

However the T6s is pretty impressive.  I have not had a chance to try one personaly but the specs are really interesting.

So at this point I would tell you to try before you buy.  I doubt when the rubber meets the road, you would be happy with either.

EB
Announcements