cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to upgrade from 10D

birish21
Contributor

So years and years ago my father gave me his Canon 10D along with a EF 75-300 1:4-6.5 IS as well as an EF 28-135 1 : 3.5-5.6 IS.  I know these are pretty nice lenses so my decision to stick with canon has already been made for me.  I really want to upgrade the body of this camera but I really do not have the budget to spend a whole lot for a new body.  What would be a decent upgrade over the 10D that wont break the bank? 

13 REPLIES 13

@birish21 wrote:

What do you mean by kit lense? You mean the lense that comes with it?

Yes, the 18-55mm IS II.

28-135 I have should be a good all around lense correct?

No. It's a very good lens, but it's primarily a telephoto on an APS-C camera. The kit lens gives you additional reach at the wide end.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Would this be a good solution for $335

EOS Rebel T3i EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens Kit Refurbished

I was also looking at the

Canon EOS Rebel SL1 DSLR Camera Body Only for $400"

Plain and simple.  Straight to the point of your querry, either of these will be superior to the 10D.  Pick the one you like the best.  They are very nearly equal.  The SL1 being a much smaller body as the main difference.  If you like that go for it.  Otherwise I would get the T3i.  It is an extremely popular camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

amfoto1
Authority

You may want to look some other places, too, but a good place to start looking is the Canon Online Store. They often have refurbished cameras available at discount prices. Refurbs have the same warranty as new... might be demo units, out-of-box, overstock, returns for various reasons. They've been inspected (probably more than a brand new camera gets coming down the assembly line) and any repairs needed are made.

Here's a link to the Canon Store, refurbished cameras.

If the 10D seems "big and heavy" to you, you won't get much relief, I'm afraid.

The SL1 (body only, refurbished is $308) is the most compact, lightest weight DSLR. Of all the Canon models, it's the only one that's significantly smaller, though some of them may be abit lighter weight.  

The other Rebel series (current and recent models: T3, T5, T3i, T4i, T5i, T6i, T6s) are not substantially smaller than 10D, but are a bit lighter. They use more plastic, while the 10D has a magnesium body over an aluminum frame.

60D and 70D are the models that superseded your 10D (with 20D, 30D, 40D and 50D in between).  They are all pretty similar in size and weight to your 10D.

Your lenses are fully usable on any of these... and in fact  will give same angles of view that your accustomed to, with your 10D. If you need a wider lens (such as for landscapes), I might suggest a Canon EF-S 10-22mm or EF-S 10-18mm. Those sell new for roughly $600 and $300 respectively. EF-S lenses won't work on a 10D, but are fully compatible with all the later models mentioned above. (You also can find refurbished lenses at the Canon Online Store).

10D was a very nice camera... in 2004 when I bought mine. Any of the above will be an upgrade in many ways: faster startup, improved autofocus, faster frame rate, higher resolution and higher usable ISO, and a number of other features that have become standard in the more recent cameras.

Have fun shopping!

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

@amfoto1 wrote:

You may want to look some other places, too, but a good place to start looking is the Canon Online Store. They often have refurbished cameras available at discount prices. Refurbs have the same warranty as new... might be demo units, out-of-box, overstock, returns for various reasons. They've been inspected (probably more than a brand new camera gets coming down the assembly line) and any repairs needed are made.

Here's a link to the Canon Store, refurbished cameras.

If the 10D seems "big and heavy" to you, you won't get much relief, I'm afraid.

The SL1 (body only, refurbished is $308) is the most compact, lightest weight DSLR. Of all the Canon models, it's the only one that's significantly smaller, though some of them may be abit lighter weight.  

The other Rebel series (current and recent models: T3, T5, T3i, T4i, T5i, T6i, T6s) are not substantially smaller than 10D, but are a bit lighter. They use more plastic, while the 10D has a magnesium body over an aluminum frame.

60D and 70D are the models that superseded your 10D (with 20D, 30D, 40D and 50D in between).  They are all pretty similar in size and weight to your 10D.

Your lenses are fully usable on any of these... and in fact  will give same angles of view that your accustomed to, with your 10D. If you need a wider lens (such as for landscapes), I might suggest a Canon EF-S 10-22mm or EF-S 10-18mm. Those sell new for roughly $600 and $300 respectively. EF-S lenses won't work on a 10D, but are fully compatible with all the later models mentioned above. (You also can find refurbished lenses at the Canon Online Store).

10D was a very nice camera... in 2004 when I bought mine. Any of the above will be an upgrade in many ways: faster startup, improved autofocus, faster frame rate, higher resolution and higher usable ISO, and a number of other features that have become standard in the more recent cameras.

Have fun shopping!

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Yea I think maybe the weight isn't as big a deal as I was making, I think it really boils down to wanting newer/faster tech.  I went and tried some cameras last night at best buy and it's amazing how much faster these cameras focus and process images.  I held a T5 and it felt great in my hands, I tried to hold some of those nicer point and shoot cameras but they just felt really small and akward in my hands.  I halso tried to go to the Canon store but I can't click or type anything in that site.

Announcements