cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looked some dots while my battery was not inserted.

Alamin569
Contributor

Dear all:

Please help me. I am using canon 70D with 18-55 kit lens. I didn't used my camera for 4-5 days. on that time I stored my camera without battery. Today I opened it and looked at the view finder without inserting the battery. I saw some dots on the view finder. The dots can be described as the fog on the window. But they were small. I got scared. But when I instered the battery and turned on camera I looked the view finder again. On that time there was no dots or anything. 

But I need to know what were they? Is it any problem? Please help me. I need your help.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely

Al Amin

4 REPLIES 4

A wild guess, assuming that you're located in a humid area: When you put your camera away without its battery, it cooled off a little, and fog condensed on the mirror or sensor. When you put the battery back in, the camera heated up a tiny bit, and the condensate evaporated.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Dear Mr Bob:

Is it any type of problem? Or will it harm my camera? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

With best regards

Al Amin

amfoto1
Authority

Without seeing it, we are only guessing.

Yes, it could be condensation inside the camera, which is most likely to happen in higher humidity and varying temperature environments. It might do no harm, but it's not good either. If living and working in that type environment, you might want to use some sortt of dessicant pack stored with your camera, to absorb moisture from the atmosphere. (Here is an example of a dessicant pack... http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Packs-Indicating-Aluminum-Dehumidifying-Canister/dp/B0025OO8DO/ref=sr_1_6?... ... a fairly permanent type that can be reused many times.)

70D has an "active matrix/transmissive LCD" focus screen. Typically those will dim down when there is no power to the camera (battery removed). When the battery is reinstalled, the viewfinder is clear again. It might have just been some temporary anomolies on the LCD when it first started up, or unusual light happened to catch and highlight some specks of dust in there, or similar. Removing and reinserting the battery would restart the focus screen.

Anything you see in the viewfinder, anything that's on the focus screen (sharply in focus) or on the mirror (out of focus), will not show up in your photographs. It's merely a minor nuisance. The mirror and focus screen are very easily damaged, so I don't recommend people try to clean those themselves. If needed, have it professionally cleaned.

By the way, if not using your camera for just 4-5 days, personally I wouldn't bother removing the battery from the camera for storage. If it were 2 weeks or longer... maybe. But not for just a few days. Today's rechargeable batteries such as the 70D uses are pretty good, though... are not prone to leakng the way older types of batteries were.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Thank you sir.

Announcements