cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live view shoot

balihigh760
Apprentice

Do I need to delete software for Canon EOS camera with new 70D software on my computer?

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

No.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you, manual was nebulous.  I appreciate your help.

Depending what you plan to do with the camera (i.e. tethered shooting or not) and how you plan to edit your photos you most likely don't need any of the Canon software.

Invest in a good card reader and continue using whatever software you are currently happy with and you will be OK.

If you are currently using any of the Canon-supplied software just be sure to update it for the 70D.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I shoot images of coins.  I can manage focus, lighting etc. much easier.  That can't be done in Photo Shop or Lightroom.  It must be done first, then on to Lightroom, then Photoshop for post processing.

Having Canons software give me a live shooting environment with a large image to verify the focus etc.,  I've been doing this since the early days of digital, and before with film.  

Without that software, it would be like looking through a low power telescope expecting to get an accurate image of Jupiter and beyond.  It save a lot of grief.  Using film was always a crap shoot as you had to wait for the photos to be returned from the lab to see how well, or how much one screwed up.  

My quest  as a numismatic photographer is to make the coin look exactly like in had eyeballing.  This is for selling, as well as publication.  I find it a very robust tool and I can tell you it beats the snot out of another big camera manufaturers tethered software.

I appreciate the time you took for me, it answers my basic question.  I'll remove the live view software that went with my Rebel XS and install the new that comes with the 70D.  Thanks so much, keep on shooting.

"I shoot images of coins.  I can manage focus, lighting etc. much easier.  That can't be done in Photo Shop or Lightroom.  It must be done first, then on to Lightroom, then Photoshop for post processing."

If you wish to shot tethered, then you need the EOS Utility, probably EOS Utility version 3 with the 70D.  Bujt, I wouldn't delete the old software, though.  The two EOS Utility applications can co-exist on the same hard drive without any issues.

If I were shooting images of coins, I would not rely on auto-focus, at all.  I would manully focus everything.

"My quest  as a numismatic photographer is to make the coin look exactly like in had eyeballing.  This is for selling, as well as publication.  I find it a very robust tool and I can tell you it beats the snot out of another big camera manufaturers tethered software."

I'm not familiar with what you mean by "eyeballling."  I suppose you mean looking at it through a magnifier.  Are you image stacking?

Stacked_Image_001-2.jpg

The above image was created from 6 separate images.  I had bought a new lens [16-35mm], and wanted to test it out, but it was a blizzard outside.  A macro lens could do an even better job of it.  This shot is highly cropped.

I ask about image stacking because unless you're perpendicualr to the coin, you will not get the entire coin in focus.  My camera was at about a 45 degree angle, or so.  I could only get just small horizontal slice of the coin in focus, which is why I had to take six separate shots, and then stack them in Photoshop.

Ray-uk
Whiz
The 70D is an EOS camera !

@Ray-uk wrote:
The 70D is an EOS camera !

True but irrelevant. Half the questions we get in this forum are from people who haven't read even the cover of the manual.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements