cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens aps-c vs full frame

Cantanhede
Apprentice

Can I use the EF 16-35mm with the 80D and get a similar result on real estate shots?

12 REPLIES 12

"Also, I thought Canon's STM lenses were supposed to be quieter than their USM lenses. Isn't that why some people prefer them for video?" 

Typos?  Yeah, I am good for those.

My sons and I stick to manual focusing lenses.  I believe the STM lenses were originally the only ones capable of the AF-Servo during video mode.  As far as noise goes, my STM lenses make more noise, probably because the noise they do make is usually longer in duration than my USM lenses.  I notice the STMs far more often, than the USMs. 

Besides, the only time lens noise comes into play is when you are using the built-in microphone, which is roughly an inch away from the lens.  If you are using an external microphone(s), which you should be doing anyway, the lens noise shouldn't be picked up at all.  I would rather have the faster focusing speed than a slower, quieter lens any day of the week.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

If by real estate shots you mean those wide angle shots of rooms that go with listings, you are kind of in luck. The reason is if you have a tripod, you can take a long exposure shot and get everything nicely exposed without needing to resort to the high ISO settings that make a full frame camera's superior low light image quality stand out.  

Since your subject (a room) is not moving, a long shutter can be used to let all the light you need enter the camera.  

If you were wanting to shoot fast motion, like sports, in dim indoor lights, then you'd feel tempted to pay big bucks for a full frame camera and fast big aperture lenses. 

Since the 80d is good at video I think that'd be my choice if video and real estate shots are your main concerns. The EF-s lenses are cheaper than most of the EF lenses too. 

If if you do shoot people indoors in dim light a lot, I'd flip my answer and say get the full frame 6d. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

"If by real estate shots you mean those wide angle shots of rooms that go with listings, you are kind of in luck. The reason is if you have a tripod, you can take a long exposure shot and get everything nicely exposed without needing to resort to the high ISO settings that make a full frame camera's superior low light image quality stand out."

Exactly and a great point.  There isn't a nickel's worth of difference in any of the lenses mentioned so pick the one that suits your preferences.  Which one barrels or is noisy, etc. is meaningless in real estate work.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements