cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LP-E6n's dying

HeathC
Apprentice

I currently have 4 bricked LP-E6n's. 3 of them are new. I have talked to Canon and CPS and nothing I have tried has helped. My assistant thinks using a 3rd party charger is the problem but the one third party charger I have has been in use for years with no problems. Anyway, I'm not using it anymore and would really like to find a way to revive these batteries if anyonwwhas any ideas. 

Heath

19 REPLIES 19

Ray-uk
Whiz

A lot of rechargeable batteries can appear to die if they are left too long completely discharged, this is usually because the inbuilt chip requires a little power from the battery to initialise the charging sequence and without this power an intelligent charger acts as though there is no battery fitted.

They can sometimes be re-started by applying the correct voltage briefly across the terminals from an external power source but this can be very dangerous and is not something I would recommend unless you know exactly what you are doing.

You say that 3 of the batteries are new, if so then they should be replaced free of charge by the supplier. If you have used them, even only once then they are not new and they are your problem.

It is possible that the 3rd party charger damaged them but in my experience it is unlikely.

The batteries have been used 1 or 2 times. I can't understand how a thrid party charger can work for years then suddenly start killing batteries. I get a fast blink on all 4.

Heath

@HeathC wrote:

The batteries have been used 1 or 2 times. I can't understand how a thrid party charger can work for years then suddenly start killing batteries. I get a fast blink on all 4.

Heath

You don't have to understand how it works, no more than you have to understand how your smart phone works.  Just use a genuine Canon charger with your genuine Canon batteries.

The Canon batteries are not just little cannisters of stored up electricity, like an Eveready battery.  The Canon camera batteries are intelligent.  Every battery has a serial number, and you can use your camera to read them.

None of us fully understand how Canon batteries communicate, not even third party battery manufacturers.  Exactly how they work is a closely guarded secret by Canon.  Many counterfeit batteries were being sold branded as Canon batteries, and they were failing.

Due to the proliferation of counterfeit batteries, Canon redesigned their batteries a couple of years ago, hence the designation change from "LP-E6" to "LP-E6(N)", where the "N" stands for the word "new."  The redesign was enacted to cause incompatibility between genuine Canon products and third party products.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@HeathC wrote:

Heath

You don't have to understand how it works, no more than you have to understand how your smart phone works.  Just use a genuine Canon charger with your genuine Canon batteries.

The Canon batteries are not just little cannisters of stored up electricity, like an Eveready battery.  The Canon camera batteries are intelligent.  Every battery has a serial number, and you can use your camera to read them.

None of us fully understand how Canon batteries communicate, not even third party battery manufacturers.  Exactly how they work is a closely guarded secret by Canon.  Many counterfeit batteries were being sold branded as Canon batteries, and they were failing.

Due to the proliferation of counterfeit batteries, Canon redesigned their batteries a couple of years ago, hence the designation change from "LP-E6" to "LP-E6(N)", where the "N" stands for the word "new."  The redesign was enacted to cause incompatibility between genuine Canon products and third party products.

I was with you all the way until you lost me on that last paragraph. Are you certain of that explanation? I always thought they added the "N" when they increased a battery's mAH capacity to accommodate a new, and possibly more power-hungry, camera. I don't think the LP-E6 was the first battery to use that convention.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

I was with you all the way until you lost me on that last paragraph. Are you certain of that explanation? I always thought they added the "N" when they increased a battery's mAH capacity to accommodate a new, and possibly more power-hungry, camera. I don't think the LP-E6 was the first battery to use that convention.

Exactly, N was for the batteries with increased mAH capacity and had nothing to do with changing them due to counterfeit problems. 

Not so.  I have an LP-E6N that came with my Canon EOS R and works fine.  I purchased 4 new ones, and after charging a new LP-E6N, it will not power up my camera.  I tried the newer battery in my Canon EOS 7D Mark II and it still would not power up my camera.

Sent back all four and purchased the LP-E6 version.  There is clearly something not the same in these batteries even though Canon says the N version is compatible with Mark II and the EOS R.

@rrbond07 wrote:

Not so.  I have an LP-E6N that came with my Canon EOS R and works fine.  I purchased 4 new ones, and after charging a new LP-E6N, it will not power up my camera.  I tried the newer battery in my Canon EOS 7D Mark II and it still would not power up my camera.

Sent back all four and purchased the LP-E6 version.  There is clearly something not the same in these batteries even though Canon says the N version is compatible with Mark II and the EOS R.

I have accumulated both LP-E6 and LP-E6N batteries over a period of several years and use them interchangeably with no problem. I'm pretty sure my wife's 7D2 came with an LP-E6N. My 5D4 certainly did, and I think my 5D3 did as well.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Here's a Canon article on batteries for future reference.

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/batteries/battery_types.do

Paul

@HeathC wrote:

Heath

The Wasabi charger charges the batteries to a higher voltage than the Canon charger does. For example at my charging station I have two genuine Canon chargers and one Wasabi charger. When I'm charging the Wasabi batteries I put one in the Wasabi charger and one in the Canon charger. When they show done, I transfer the Wasabi battery that was in the Canon charger into the Wasabi charger, where it charges for an additional 15+ minutes before it shows charged. 

The third party charger killed your Canon batteries by over charging them to a voltage they are not designed for.

Announcements