cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just ordered a 5d4

ScottyP
Authority

The two big camera houses were in a pre-black-Friday price war and I finally couldn't resist. In 5-7 business days I will have the camera, a battery grip, an extra Canon battery, a Pixima printer, a couple reams of photo paper, a 64gig SD card. 

Now of course this forces me into a distasteful dilemma. I have Lightroom 5, and never upgraded to version 5.7.  I don't want to fiddle around with a separate RAW converter or TIFF files or anything. I either need to buy the soon-to-be-discontinued LR 6 stand-alone or else I need the stupid Adobe everything subscription just to rent Lightroom, since I don't use a single one of the other programs in their bundle. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
29 REPLIES 29

OK now I thought of some more 'last thoughts'. Smiley Happy

Check out Red River papers.  They have some outstanding papers and profiles for all of them.  I especially like the metal paper and canvas.

And, like I said schedule printing sessions.  Do several at a time.  Not just one here and one later and...and...  The Pro-100 takes good care of its ink even when it isn't being used so it sits patiently waiting for you.  Sometimes it is a week, or more, between my printing sessions.  Nothing like I used to be but it still works well.

Check out Red River.  Also remember you need to use special profiles for each paper. If you don't get a profile with a certain paper don't buy it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic CC are two entirely different programs. Thanks to Adobe for confusion. Lightroom CC is not a pro tool.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

If they had a Lightroom-only subscription it wouldn't be so bad. Instead of $120/year for LR + PS+ 4 other things why can't I just give them $60/year and they can keep all the other stuff?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

If they had a Lightroom-only subscription it wouldn't be so bad. Instead of $120/year for LR + PS+ 4 other things why can't I just give them $60/year and they can keep all the other stuff?

AFAIK, the “new” Lightroom CC product is available by itself through a subscription.  I am shopping, actually keeping an open eye and just observing, for future alternatives.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Because it isn’t the cost as much as the aversion some people have to the subscription model. “I don’t rent software “ mantra.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Lightroom CC is currently a limited capability product.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Color prints from the Pro-100 are excellent. A colorful landscape on Platinum Paper is outstanding.

If you decide to use the printer check-out jtoolman videos on YouTube.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Also keep an eye on the Canon eStore. They frequently have free paper deals when you buy ink.

+1 on Red River.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Choreo
Contributor

I took advantage of the same promotion sounds like. I have been waitig for several months for Cyber Monday to hopefully get a deal on a 5D4. I said that if they dropped the price $100 and threw in a battery grip, I woud go for it, but I really did not think anyone would offer that deal. I never dreamed that I would get a price drop, free battrery grip, Extreme SD Card, Pixma-100 Printer, 50 sheets of 13" x 19" Canon Paper, Canon Extended 13 month Care Plan AND a $350 Amex Prepaid VISA Card Rebate from Canon!!!

Final cost was $2,850 after rebate!!!

I shoot tethered and even though I am a full Adobe CC subscriber, Lightroom Classic CC is not the fastest at "capturing", so I went ahead and took the Capture One plunge. I also use Luminar, Aurora and OnOne, but could not wait any longer for their DAM's to launch.

The printer is great, but I already have 7 other printers and even though I sell my prints, in-house printing has always resulted in a financial loss for me. All I can say is these big print shops my be getting ink for 1/10th of the cost that I have to pay! The worst experience was my Tektronix 780 $13,000 printer that went to the dumpter after 600 color laser prints (printer was rated for 10,000 prints per month). My Tektronix 600 36" wide printer also went to the dumpster after 50 prints. Xerox took over Tektronix and in both cases I had about a $15 part go out that could not be replaced (no inventory or aftermarket stock). So about $30 worth of nylon gears cost me nearly $30,000 including supplies! Almost went bankrupt over "printers" So, not more high-end printers for me!

Sounds like you have been pretty unlucky with printers.  But I would certainly recommend you give that Pro-100 a chance and a try.  You really have nothing to loose at this point.  Free ink and free paper!  My main job was with a company that had every conceivable way to put ink on paper.  I had a $40,000 dollar 40" printer in my office.  Ink cartridges were $350 bucks.

Of course the Pro-100 can't make 40" prints but what it does make rivals that high dollar printer at a fraction of the cost.

In my home office I used four of the big Pixma Pro printers.  I still have one now that I have retried.  I never really take any good care of them and they still just work.

BTW, what were you charging for your prints?  It sounds like, not enough!  One of my associates used to specialize in what we called 'couch prints' because they were about the size of a couch.  A framed couch print was $2500.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements