cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Israel and Egypt with Canon 80D

dudeinwashingto
Enthusiast

Hello friends

i will be taking a 5 days in Israel and 9 days in Eygpt ! really looking forward to it !!

I will be having a tour guide in Eygpt.

I have these two lenses 

• EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
  • 18 55mm f 3.5 5.6 is sample pictures

If anyone travelled there and have any recomendations, please let me know

Also i will post pictures once i get back or if possible there 

thanks

20 REPLIES 20

thank you kvbarkley!

"...my budget for new lens is 600 USD...but i can save a bit more..."

This I would try to do.  Is this trip a once in a lifetime event?  How important would that be?  A great deal to me if it were me.

A slightly cheaper choice that may even be a better choice would be the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon.

It has a very fast constant aperture and is a dedicated 80D (APS-C sensor) lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...my budget for new lens is 600 USD...but i can save a bit more..."

This I would try to do.  Is this trip a once in a lifetime event?  How important would that be?  A great deal to me if it were me.

A slightly cheaper choice that may even be a better choice would be the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon.

It has a very fast constant aperture and is a dedicated 80D (APS-C sensor) lens.

No one would argue that a member of Sigma's "Art" line isn't a fine lens. But 18-35mm is a pretty short zoom range that will leave you wanting at both ends. If you have space to carry three lenses, it should be great for the mid-range. Otherwise I just don't see it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Except it is light years better (IQ and/or speed wise). Far and away more useful than any f3.5-5.6 variable lens.  One thing you can bank on, they will not allow flash inside the attractions.  Most places don't.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Except it is light years better (IQ and/or speed wise). Far and away more useful than any f3.5-5.6 variable lens.  One thing you can bank on, they will not allow flash inside the attractions.  Most places don't.

Some don't; some do. (Actually, tripods are more likely to be banned than flash.) The company conducting the tour can probably tell you, or you may be able to find out from the attraction's Web site. For large interiors, flash, especially a camera's built-in flash, probably won't do the job anyway.

But travel is invariably a compromise. The King of Arabia may be able to bring along 50 trunks (or whatever it was, I forget), but the average traveler can't. We all adjust our equipment needs to the situation at hand.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Robert,

I don't know what or why your are arguing this?  None of the Canon ef-s lenses is in the same class as the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens.  If I could only take one lens on a 80D with the choice being one of the  ef-s variable kit lenses or the Siggy, the Sigma goes every time.  You would too!

Ever been to DC?  Don't bother with your flash or tripod there.  Why chance it on a grand trip like this when there is a reasonable solution.

EB

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

Just to be clear Canon's STM lenses offer image quality on par with all but the latest second generation IS II L lenses. Don't be fooled by their low price. In the case of STM lens paying less doesn't mean you are sacrificing image quality.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

dudeinwashingto,

There is an old saying in photography, "No lens is ever too fast."  It is still true today.  If a slow variable aperture f3.5-5.6 kit lens can take the shot a faster higher IQ lens will only make the shot better and easier.

If you were to load up the family car for a grand vacation would you pull out a couple spark plugs?  Yeah, you can still most likely complete the vacation but how much easier and better it is will all cylinders firing?  The same is true with the faster lenses.  Anything the slow variable aperture f3.5-5.6 kit lens can do will be better with a faster lens like the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens.  I only site it because it is the fastest zoom lens made in this category. There are other things beside the constant aperture that make this lens the best choice.  It has an attractive price point for what you get.   It has an extremely strong build. Its finish is gorgeous.  Much better than the kit lenses.  It has 9 diaphragm blades and some other things.

Truth be, any lens with a constant aperture of f2.8 or faster will be a better choice than any of the kit lens.  Actually it is a better choice for 90% of all people.  Whether you are the Mom wanting to shoot the kids playing around in the dimly lighted living room or the guy, "taking a 5 days in Israel and 9 days in Eygpt." trip.

The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens or the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens remain at the top of my list for you.  One of these is what I would choose.

BTW, I am softening my views about the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens.  Not a first choice for me but at this price point it has a lot to offer.  It's results can't be overlooked.   They are very good.  It is not a good choice for your trip unless you are going to take several lenses?

I admit either of these faster zooms will have one issue, a limited focal length.  The only way to have the best of both worlds, so to speak, is to add another lens.  But a bag that contains the 80D with either one of the fast zooms suggested plus the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens would be pretty sweet.  That should cover any and all the things you will encounter while keeping a tight bag.  Forget the flash and forget the tripod.  Leave home without them!

Have a wonderful time................and be safe.  Smiley Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

dudeinwashingto,

There is an old saying in photography, "No lens is ever too fast."  It is still true today.  If a slow variable aperture f3.5-5.6 kit lens can take the shot a faster higher IQ lens will only make the shot better and easier.

Except when you are traveling where the slight benefit does not outweigh the negatives of the extra size and weight of fixed aperture lenses.

Plus you really will want an ultra wide lens like the EF-S 10-18 IS STM. So now your up to carrying 3 or 4 lenses instead of two.

I'm just going to ignore the overly dramatic convoluted spark plug, stretch at a metaphor.

@TTMartin wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

dudeinwashingto,

Except when you are traveling where the slight benefit does not outweigh the negatives of the extra size and weight of fixed aperture lenses.

Plus you really will want an ultra wide lens like the EF-S 10-18 IS STM. So now your up to carrying 3 or 4 lenses instead of two.

I'm just going to ignore the overly dramatic convoluted spark plug, stretch at a metaphor.

The EF-S 10-18mm IS STM is currently being sold by Canon in a "portrait kit" with the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM.   I find having a fast lens [low f-number, for max aperture size] is invaluable when venturing into unknown territory.  Having a fast zoom, or an even faster prime is one of life's mysteries, when you don't know what to expect.  I'd go for the faster prime, but 50mm may feel a little long, if you are in indoor, close quarters.

Didn't you get a kit lens, like the EF-S 18-55mm IS STM, with the 80D in a camera kit?  You have the right idea, though.  Traveling light works best.  Beware of changing lenses in dirty, dusty environments.  You will get your sensor dirty.  So, carry a "rocket blower" to blow out the camera.  Your camera is very sensitive to dust, and lingering static only makes it worse.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements