cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the cannon 80d suitable to film weddings?

Weddingkid97
Apprentice

Hey, so I'm new to film and am looking at starting a videographer company that mainly dose weddings... I eventually would love to have all cannon gear including the c100 but until I save up I am looking at a entry level cannon such as the 80d, so that I can practice and get used to lighting.

So the main questions that I am stumped on ☹....

- the 80d dose not offer 4k, is that a massive problem ? I am thinking of doing a lot of slow motion ( filiming at 60p then changing it to 25/26p..
-what is the battery life like?

-is their any other affordable cannons with great video?

-how is the 80d at low light?

-will it damage my camera if I record with it on and off for 8 hours... if so, should I buy a decent camcorder and use that for the reception speeches and ceremony ? 🙂
-if I buy lenses and accesories for the 80d, can they go straight on the c100
- and finally, what lenses do you recommend to create cinematic look without breaking my bank haha.

Thanks !!!!

7 REPLIES 7

lly3988
Rising Star

Why not consider a Canon XC 10 if it is for videography ?

Weddingkid97
Apprentice
Yeah I have looked at that too! It was either c100 or cx10 but to start off and learn on I need something cheaper and easier to use. Then once I get the hang of the basics, use my 80d as a backup/ side camera... 🙂

Ray-uk
Whiz

The 80D like all DSLRs is basically a stills camera with added basic video facilities meant for the occasional use, it is not designed to be a full time video camera for serious use.

Video recording is limited to approx 30 minutes for each session, this is a legal requirement in some countries to allow the camera to be sold at a lower tax rate.

If you are going to be doing video professionally then you should get a proper video camera.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Weddingkid97 wrote:

- the 80d dose not offer 4k, is that a massive problem ? 

Only if you are planning on showing your video at an IMAX theater.

Seriously, at normal viewing distances people can't even tell the difference between 720P and 1080P.

4K is the latest 'gimmick' to sell TVs to those that don't know any better.

"4K is the latest 'gimmick' to sell TVs to those that don't know any better."

Man, two blue moons in one month!  He is correct, IMHO and his.

However I might warn you, you may not get even close to 30 minutes of recording.  There are more factors involved.  I don't, or I should didn't, do video but I have several colleagues that offer video weddings packages. Some do use a DSLR but the really good ones use a real video camera.

If I were to start today doing vid I think I would check out the C100.  But the idea of buying an 80D is still good.  All the guys I know that do vid have a DSLR, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Weddingkid97
Apprentice
Thanks guys for your input! Yeah I had a feeling it was necessary, and was worried it would take up way to much space.. so that has made me happy haha . Yeah the c100 is what I want so bad, I might just save up until I can get it 🙂 thanks guys!

@Weddingkid97 wrote:
Thanks guys for your input! Yeah I had a feeling it was necessary, and was worried it would take up way to much space.. so that has made me happy haha . Yeah the c100 is what I want so bad, I might just save up until I can get it 🙂 thanks guys!

Canon does make professional camcorders, too.  You do not necessarily need to move all the way up to video camera with interchangeable lenses, like the C100.  Speaking of which, the C100 seems like it is being sold off at near clearance prices.

In addition to the XC series, Canon has an XA and XF series of professional camcorders.  Our local cable news channel uses them in their standard ENG packages.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements