cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the 6D due for a follow up soon?

Glaslar
Apprentice

I have a 6D.  It has some shortcomings in my opnion.

The pictures are good but I would like a better AutoFocus

system.  The 6D seems a little hesitant at times. 

Also, I would like an articulated viewing screen and while

I would like a popup flast, that I could live without.

I use the

24-105 F4L most of the time.

I was wondering if Canon were planning to upgrade the 6D.

3 REPLIES 3

Skirball
Authority

Nobody knows.  Rumor is (www.CanonRumors.com) that it will be updated, but it's all speculation.  They announced there will be several new camera bodies in 2015, and so far we have two new version of the 5Ds, and two new versions of a Rebel.  Most are expecting another full frame body, but nobody knows if it'll be a revamped 5d3 (the 5Ds really isn't related) or 6D.

The problem is, that the changes you're describing - at least, Autofocus - is the fundamental difference between the 6D and 5d3.  So they'd have to do a small incremental update - perhaps 19 cross points like in the Rebel - to make it not tread on the toes of the 5d3.  If the AF system were better then you'd have very little difference between the two lines and it would hurt sales of the 5d3.

It's unlikely that they'll put in a flash or articulated screen, but you never know.  Historically these features haven't been on full frame cameras.  That said, making the 6D more like a full frame Rebel would certainly help maintain difference between

Thanks Skirball

Appreciate your input. 

I always thought of the 5D3 as a much more

robust camera that the 6D  So I would have thought

a little better AF system wouldn't have imposed on the

5D3 too much.  I think Canon was a llittle too cautious

with the 6D. 

I sometimes think I should have stuck with the APS-C format

like the 7D or at the time, 60D, but when I see the beautiful

low light stuff off the 6D I am reassued I did the right thing.

The 6D was a camera to fill the gap between the very expensive 5D Mk III and, well, nothing.  Canon felt like there was a market for full frame but some folks that didn't want to drop over 3 grand on a camera. So, the 6D was born.

It will never be a 5D but it is certainly much better than the 60D.  In that sense you made the right choice by far.

Personally I would have opted for the 7D if I were in your shoes and now very much so for the 7D Mk II.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements