cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a new Canon EOS Camera

awioa
Contributor

My old Canon Rebel XTi just died and I need to get a new one. I really would like to get the Canon Mark 5D III, but I am limited to spending $1000.  I need help trying to find a good replacement. I would like to get one that is the best available for high quality pictures and for low level light, compatible with the EF/EF-S lenses. It doesn't need to have video or bluetooth. I really just want to take great pictures no matter where I am at.

Any help or ideas would be great.

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@awioa wrote:

My old Canon Rebel XTi just died and I need to get a new one. I really would like to get the Canon Mark 5D III, but I am limited to spending $1000.  I need help trying to find a good replacement. I would like to get one that is the best available for high quality pictures and for low level light, compatible with the EF/EF-S lenses. It doesn't need to have video or bluetooth. I really just want to take great pictures no matter where I am at.

Any help or ideas would be great.

Thank you

The Canon 70D would be a great upgrade to your XTi. The 70D does everything you want and more!

It is available for $750 refurbished with a 1 year warranty direct from Canon.or new for $1000 from Amazon or other Canon authorized dealers.

Going refurbished direct from Canon USA is probably your best choice, for your budget you can even get a kit with one of Canon's new and superb STM lenses.

ScottyP
Authority
How important is it to use EF-s lenses? Only crop bodies can use, so 5d3 would not do it anyway.

If you can stretch to $1,200 you can get a FF 6d which is great in low light but also can't do EF-s lenses. A used 6d perhaps would be an alternative.

If you don't need full frame, I would get either a new T6s or a 70d. 70d does movies better with the dual pixel live view focus and it can do AFMA. Only hesitation for me on 70d is the vocal minority who claim their 70d is defective in autofocus. Don't know if true or not but it spooks me a bit.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:
How important is it to use EF-s lenses? Only crop bodies can use, so 5d3 would not do it anyway.

If you can stretch to $1,200 you can get a FF 6d which is great in low light but also can't do EF-s lenses. A used 6d perhaps would be an alternative.

If you don't need full frame, I would get either a new T6s or a 70d. 70d does movies better with the dual pixel live view focus and it can do AFMA. Only hesitation for me on 70d is the vocal minority who claim their 70d is defective in autofocus. Don't know if true or not but it spooks me a bit.

There is no systemic problem with the AF of the 70D. There were a few (very few) early cameras that did have an actual issue.

The problem is with today's internet anyone can become a blogger. One of those bloggers didn't understand what the actual issue was, and told people that something perfectly normal (having to micro focus adjust a lens) was a problem. This is total nonsense.

If you understand how the two different AF systems in the camera work, you also understand that a micro adjustment may be needed to synchronize the two systems. Add the fact that there are some variations in lenses due to manufacturing tolerances, having to micro focus adjust a lens is perfectly normal.

It is also the reason why a camera with AFMA like the 70D is preferable to one without it.

You risk being flamed by some irate members of that vocal minority, TTMartin. 😉

Seriously, though, how many pages did those 70d threads stretch to? 50 or 60?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The obivious and correct answer for you is the Rebel T6i.  You will feel right at home with it.  All your lenses will work without issue.  It is light years ahead of the XTi.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

The obivious and correct answer for you is the Rebel T6i.  You will feel right at home with it.  All your lenses will work without issue.  It is light years ahead of the XTi.

Yes, the T6i would be a big upgrade to the XTi. However the 70D is an upgrade from the T6i that is basically the same price. Especially since the 70D is available refurbished direct from Canon and the T6i is not. So the 70D is actually available for $100 less than the T6i. And just like with the T6i the 70D is compatable with all of your lenses. The 70D has micro focus adjustment which I explained the importance of in the post above, and the T6i does not.

awioa
Contributor

Thank you guys! I will look at these 2 cameras

amfoto1
Authority

I was going to suggest 70D or T6i, too.

Also check out a third camera... the T6s. That is the new "top of the line" Rebel series model.... Basically in between the T6i and 70D. It has 70D-style controls in a Rebel series body... and has the same sensor and processor as T6i, which is newer than 70D's and a modest upgrade. 

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Announcements