cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I like my 80D - BUT

Goswick
Contributor

The Canon 80D was my first venture into DSLR cameras (been using traditional video cameras up to now). I "thought" I did a lot of research before I decided on the Canon 80D but I missed some important (to me at least) features.

I did not realize that there is a 29 min/59 second constraint on the camera when shooting video. After further research it appears that is a typical DSLR "feature" not only with Canon. After further research it was suggested that I could use an Atomos Ninja for my long-form videos and as luck would have it I already owned a Ninja. I was happy to be able to solve my problem BUT after testing the Canon/Ninja configuration out I was extremely disappointed to find out that the Canon 80D does not supply audio to the Ninja via the HDMI port. That is a major shortcoming with the canon 80D..not sure what good video is without audio.

As I already said..guess i didn't do enough research before I bought my DSLR camera. My bad but don't understand the HDMI audio issue at all. 

24 REPLIES 24

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Is there a question here?

Guess not...

John_SD
Whiz

I am seeing quite a few posts from guys who are basically using their cameras primarily as camcorders. Wouldn't it be more cost effective to simply buy a camcorder?

It may be but if Canon is going to offer video capabilities in their DSLR then the customer should expect to have a level of basic video capabilities. In my humble opinion, not passing audio through HDMI is a basic feature that even my cell phone has. I can live with the 30 minute limitation if I could do the work around with the Ninja.

I respectully disagree. The OP has no one but himself to blame for not doing his homework before making his purchase. That's on him, not Canon. 

@John_SD wrote:

I respectully disagree. The OP has no one but himself to blame for not doing his homework before making his purchase. That's on him, not Canon. 

Thank you for your reply to the post. I really didn't post this to get into a "spitting contest". You are right that i did not research every single detail of the camer before I bought it...like most folks (maybe you are the exception) I did not read the user manual page by page to find the "no audio" statement on Page 213.

The intent of the post is maybe someone else can learn from my mistake and not to bash Canon...except for the fact their camera does not send audio through the HDMI.

HDMI.jpg

Hello Goswick!

Welcome to the Canon Community! 

It sounds like the EOS 7D Mark II would be best for you. If you bought your camera from us please send us an email to canonfriends@cits.canon.com so we can discuss options. 

We look forward to your email! 

I guess it depends what "basic" means, but I am pretty sure that my T6S plays sound via HDMI to my TV.

Announcements