cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 7D recently bought a housing, took it out for the first time and the pictures are blurry

Jacko1020
Apprentice

image.jpgHey guys,

so I recently bought a housing for my canon 7D and took it out for the first time.. It was late afternoon around 5/6pm and I have the settings on TV iOS auto. Now when I reviewed all my photos they came out blurry.. What should I have it on am I better off to put it on auto ? 

The back of my housing doesn't allow me to change the settings I have to do it before I put it in. 

The photo is my example of what's happening*********

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you want people to judge the image quallity,then why didn't you upload an actual photo, instead a photo of your monitor?  ???

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Since the foreground and background are widely separated but equally blurry, it's probably motion blur, not failure to focus. What shutter speed were you using?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Since the foreground and background are widely separated but equally blurry, it's probably motion blur, not failure to focus. What shutter speed were you using?

Good call.  Possibly both subject motion and camera motion blur.

What focal length was that shot at?  What is the estimated distance between camera and the face?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

When you do this, you'll want to make sure you're shooting a burst of several frames (set the 'drive' mode to shoot as continuous bursts) and you'll want to make sure the focus mode is set to AI-Servo focus (so it focuses continuously as camera-to-subject distant changes.  Make sure you pick the AF point you want the cmaera to use - don't let it auto-select the AF point.

When you evaluate your bursts of shots, you'll typically find that when you combine all the factors of stability, tracking the subject, focus, etc. that one or two... or may be three... images in a burst of 10-15 shots might actually be usable.  Most will not be keepers (and that's the nature of the type of photography you're trying to do.)

If you want deliberate motion blur then I would work into it gradually.  I do panning shots to create a sharp subject with deliberately blurred background to show motion.  That sounds easy, but there are several challenges keeping the camera following my subject steady enough to get a sharp shot while everything else blurs.  Start with a high shutter speed and gradually work your way down to slower shutter speeds as ou get more practice.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

To add to the above suggestions how solid a stance are you able to hold? Looks like you'll be fighting wave surge while shooting which means far more camera shake than IS can handle.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements