cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 5D Mark ii - I recently started getting an error message on my memory cards

5Charley
Apprentice

9 REPLIES 9

cicopo
Elite

The more information you supply the easier it will be for us to understand your problem.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Naomi
Enthusiast

Hi 5Charley!

Cicipo's correct.  Please let us know at what point you're getting an error on the memory cards you're using (when you first install them in the camera, while shooting, etc...).  Also please provide us with brand and type information for the cards you're using.  That way, our Canon Forum members and our Subject Matter Experts will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your specific issue.

Thanks!

Thank you for responding.  I shoot - even scroll back thru the frames, while the card is still in the camera.  The first time the card was unreadable in the card reader. I put it back in the camera, it gave me a message of - card not formatted for this camera - format.

The second time - it was in the middle of a shoot - I received the error message - with the card in the camera - this time I was unable to retrieve any photos from the card-

Both cards were brand new cards - the first was a 16 GB Lexar Professional the 2nd was a Lexar 8GB  - I usually always use the Lexar 8GB card

Thank you in advance for your help

So it's an occasional fault vs an every use fault if I'm reading that right. Did you try recovery software before reformatting? Did you by any chance open the card door while the camera was still reading or writing to the card? Either could cause that and so could accidently turning it off.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I always erase and re-format card before reusing the card

Is not an every use occurance - I have not opened the card door when I have received the error message- I thought it might be the card reader; however, the second time it occured I was in the middle of a shoot.  I had turned the camera off and then back on again - volia - the card not formatted to this camera message!

Thanks again to everyone who are helping me with this issue!

Mykolas
Authority

5Charley,

How often do you format your memory cards in the camera and have you done this recently?  If you have not, please recover what images you can from the card using your card reader before you try formatting the cards in the camera.  Formatting will completely erase all data on the card, but it will refresh the file system on the card and hopefully remove any corrupted data that was on the card as well.

What specific Lexar 16GB and 8GB cards are you using?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

As a general practice, I format every card I use before each shoot. I always have a spare, too. Always fire seveal test shots first.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I erase and re-format when using the card - however, these were brand new cards - so just formatted.

The two cards were: SanDisk Extreme Pro 16gb and Lexar Platinum II 8gb  cards

Thank you again for your help

C

Get two more 'NEW' cards and try them. If you see the same results join CPS.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements